Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times

Advertisements

I am loving everything about the Curiousity landing on Mars. I am a little disssapointed that NASA couldn't use an American company for the software which controlled all the critical components of the machines. Really not taking anything away from Siemens (who has this plastered all over their website, and deservedly so) but come on, no *American* company could have done this?

Siemens Answers - Siemens USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
My guess is that Siemens already had large pieces of the necessary software, and could provide it at considerably lower cost than any USA company.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I am loving everything about the Curiousity landing on Mars. I am a little disssapointed that NASA couldn't use an American company for the software which controlled all the critical components of the machines. Really not taking anything away from Siemens (who has this plastered all over their website, and deservedly so) but come on, no *American* company could have done this?

I'm sure there is no other reason NASA went with Siemens other than NASA is anti-American in it's business practices.....

Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm sure there is no other reason NASA went with Siemens other than NASA is anti-American in it's business practices.....
lol - i didn't say anti-american in case you were thinking that...what I'm saying is I know there are plenty of large scale IC and software company right here in the USA....I wonder what were the dynamics they prohibited their involvement. Was it cost, like the previous poster said "time to market", etc.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:

There are Russian, German, Canadian components and components from other nations as well. Should they have tossed those as well? And the chips were made in Asia. It was built, launched, and is managed by NASA, so who cares? I actually tjhink it is much better and more important for everyone to get involved. It spreads the risk and brings us all closer as a human family.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
lol - i didn't say anti-american in case you were thinking that...what I'm saying is I know there are plenty of large scale IC and software company right here in the USA....I wonder what were the dynamics they prohibited their involvement. Was it cost, like the previous poster said "time to market", etc.
Siemens has been working with NASA for a long time now. Why wouldn't they go with them?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
There are Russian, German, Canadian components and components from other nations as well. Should they have tossed those as well? And the chips were made in Asia. It was built, launched, and is managed by NASA, so who cares? I actually tjhink it is much better and more important for everyone to get involved. It spreads the risk and brings us all closer as a human family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Siemens has been working with NASA for a long time now. Why wouldn't they go with them?

You both made good points..just appears that there are no primary US companies that are taking bragging rights...maybe it doesn't matter.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
You both made good points..just appears that there are no primary US companies that are taking bragging rights...maybe it doesn't matter.
I believe that a lot of the instrumentation on the rover was designed and built by university projects, not corporations. And I think they are very proud of their work today.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I believe that a lot of the instrumentation on the rover was designed and built by university projects, not corporations. And I think they are very proud of their work today.
I saw one of the videos and in the background it had caltech sign in the back...all very cool

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Quote:
I saw one of the videos and in the background it had caltech sign in the back...all very cool
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a part of Cal-Tech, and has been for roughly 30 years before NASA even existed-although under a different name. The JPL is considered NASA, but it is more a part of Cal-Tech as most of the employees working there are employed by Cal-Tech as the JPL is managed by Cal-Tech with NASA only having a field office. If I remember correctly, NASA funds the JPL, though. The JPL has a long history of designing and building systems for the U.S. Military, so I suppose it made sense to transfer the JPL to NASA in...1958 I believe.

The JPL is the "team" that took on the Curiosity Mission.

I also believe that most, if not all, of NASAs laboratories are either a part of a research university or a private business. Like all Government agencies, projects tend to be contracted out.

I understand what you are saying about the lack of keeping the project local, but, research science tends to not be limited to a country's borders. It's generally a global affair with the originating country taking the bragging rights. Despite the international effort, NASA, and thus America, will take the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space