Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It moves fast enough to produce enough outward force as to balance the sun's gravitational pull. BTW, Mercury is tidally locked with the sun.
In other words ... planetary centrifugal force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Curious As To Why The Sun Doesn't Swallow Mercury?
Momentum.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Another non-rocket scientist, but I think I know the answer.

Planets do not rotate the sun do to gravity but rather the warping of space around the sun ( the marble on the rim of the a funnel idea) The orbit doesn't decay because there is nothing to slow a planets speed. Anyway, before I make a complete ass out my self...

According to Einstein, in the same way that a large ball placed on a elasticated cloth stretches the fabric and causes it to sag, so planets and stars warp space-time. A marble moving along the sagging cloth will be drawn towards the ball, as the Earth is to the Sun, but not fall into it as long as it keeps moving at speed. Gravity, argued Einstein, was not an attractive force between bodies as had been previously thought.
Einstein was right: space and time bend | Science | The Observer

Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I think the short answer is that the Sun IS swallowing Mercury, but not in your lifetime. Any seeming equilibrium in the Universe is illusory, because everything is gradually changing, and will at some point shift the equilibrium.

Mercury, to the Sun, is in an orbit similar to that of a fairly large satellite circling the earth at 50,000 miles out. The same principles would govern orbital stability.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Curious As To Why The Sun Doesn't Swallow Mercury?
It will, along with Venus, Earth, and probably Mars. The life cycle of solar systems takes a long time (compared to our life cycle) so be patient.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
O.k. astro guru's on here i'm curious as to how the hell does the giant sun with a gravitational pull even on far distant pluto doesn't swallow up tiny and super close mercury? Shouldn't had mercury been pulled into the sun by it's overwhelming gravitation some billions of years ago?
Hey 6 Foot let me try explaining it this way.......I think with a combination of all posts here I can make it fairly clear and concise.

Imagine the Solar Systen is a large basketball hoop with a rubbery material stretched over the hoop(this is spacetime) and held firmly in place....the material can stretch infinitely.

The Sun is in the middle and being the most massive object in our system it bends the rubber sheet down a foot or so. All other objects want to fall towards this low point(gravitational well).

Now each planet etcetera also has mass and bends the sheet in proportion to it's weight....relative to the Sun.

Think of each planet's orbit as being a trough (of potential gravitational energy) that circles the Sun.....imbedded into the rubber sheet.

The planets maintain their momentum from the initial collapse of the protodisc that formed out Star and Solar System.

As long as each Planet maintains it's speed revolving around the Sun....it will stay in the trough within the rubber sheet(the planet's orbit).

Neither falling into the Sun Nor pulling away from it either.

This is gravitational equilibrium...the Solar System is essentially stable unless a very large/massive body were to pass through or nearby knocking a planet out of it's trough(orbit).

I hope this explanation clears up the question.

Orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spacetime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Protoplanetary disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
BTW, Mercury is tidally locked with the sun.
No, it's not. It's in a 3:2 spin-orbit resonance. One side faces the sun on every other orbit, not on every orbit. This is not a true (1:1) tidal lock, which is what our moon has with Earth, in which the same side always faces Earth at all times.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
It has occurred to me, to question the shape of such warping of space by a body. We’re presented with a picture that shows a planet (like earth) sitting on a warped “fabric” under the influence of Sun. However, I expect this fabric to literally “cup” the earth (from all possible directions and towards the sun) as it would any other planet. The orbital stability, however, would then be dictated by the planet’s mass, its distance and its orbital velocity. All else remaining the same, if earth were to slow down (or the planet in question, Mercury), it would the distance of this “cupping” from the sun would invariably decrease as the outward force generated by the orbital velocity would reduce.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I've never been a fan of that particular graphic, as it is a mixed metaphor that can be more confusing than helpful. There is no trampoline theory of space-time that fits the way the graphic appears. It also provides an implication that there are /people/gods/forces/ holding the ends of those strings taut.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Just wanted to give a '''Shout-Out''' to everyone who answered as i now have a much better understanding not only about my original question but also the other planet's rotation around and distance with the sun as well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space