Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times

Advertisements

NASA - NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM

713 posts, read 3,440,783 times
Can't wait to find out what they have up their sleeve

Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times
At least it isn't an announcement of another round of layoffs.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,650,069 times
We'll find out soon enough as to what is revealed in the conference. However, Universe Today suggests that it's probably nothing to get overly excited about.

Calm Down: NASA Hasn’t Found any Aliens | Universe Today

Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,293,848 times
Well shoot! Just when I was hoping some other civilization may consider outsourcing some of their jobs to Earth.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
It's about a bacterium found in a salt lake in the US that can use arsenic (!) and phosphor interchangeably to build its lipids, proteins and even DNA. This means that life on other planets, too, doesn't need to be based on the same six chemical elements that we always thought any life would consist of.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM

588 posts, read 2,831,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
This means that life on other planets, too, doesn't need to be based on the same six chemical elements that we always thought any life would consist of.
I've never understood the rationale for this closed-minded, naive assumption. Why would anyone assume that all life in the universe must be based on the same chemical elements which comprise it here on little ol' earth?

"Gee, us humans are made out of carbon and oxygen and hydrogen and breathe air and require water and need certain ambient temperatures to survive. Thus, any alien life form must have the same requirements."

This boggles my mind.

Everyone knows there's more than one way to skin a cat, and it's much more likely that when we do encounter extraterrestrial life, it's composition WILL indeed boggle our minds. For all we know, the first alien life we find may be based on a rare (to us) isotope of unobtanium.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
I've never understood the rationale for this closed-minded, naive assumption. Why would anyone assume that all life in the universe must be based on the same chemical elements which comprise it here on little ol' earth?

"Gee, us humans are made out of carbon and oxygen and hydrogen and breathe air and require water and need certain ambient temperatures to survive. Thus, any alien life form must have the same requirements."

This boggles my mind.

Everyone knows there's more than one way to skin a cat, and it's much more likely that when we do encounter extraterrestrial life, it's composition WILL indeed boggle our minds. For all we know, the first alien life we find may be based on a rare (to us) isotope of unobtanium.
Well, I guess it is a somewhat geocentric attitude

Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,650,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post

This boggles my mind.
No reason to let it boggle your mind. It's only been limited by what we knew because there were no other known examples to draw from to make such a conclusive comparison. Having said that, it doesn't mean that life as we don't know it doesn't exist.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM

21,203 posts, read 19,821,421 times
Darn, I was hoping they'd found some intelligent life on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space