Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times

Advertisements

I know that the Minnesota Teams are popular in eastern part of South Dakota, but know that there are pockets where other teams are popular.

Here is a trip down memory lane.

When I was growing up (late 1980s through the 1990s), the popular teams in NFL in my school were Vikings (of course), Packers, 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, and Broncos. Popular baseball teams were Twins, Braves, Yankees, and Red Sox. Popular NBA teams include Bulls, T-Wolves, Hornets (girls loved the team), Orlando, and Seattle. For college teams, Nebraska, Iowa, Notre Dame, Florida State, Duke, North Carolina, and Michigan. People were not quite as big into hockey and baseball was not as popular in the 1990s with the strike in 1994. In the mid to late 1990s, a lot of people in school wore Starter Jackets that had the team on them or a jacket with a team logo. Mine was the 49ers.

I fit the mold with liking the 49ers, but was an odd duck and like the Mariners (good in the 1990s with Ken Griffey Jr. and Randy Johnson, but lousy now), LA Lakers (which people gave me a hard time, but I was boastful in 2000, 2001, and 2002), Colorado Avalanche, and Kansas Jayhawks.

What teams were or are popular in your neck of the woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Rapid City/Black Hills-

Denver Broncos
Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Denver Nuggets
CU Buffalos
Nebraska Huskers
Utah Jazz
Arizona Diamondbacks
Minnesota Vikings

Former Rapid City teams-
Thrillers
Red Dogs
Posse
Gold
Flying Aces

Future Pro Hockey Team (pending arena completion)-
Rapid City Rush

Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 AM

230 posts, read 626,313 times
I'm from Cincinnati and while I have been away for better than 18 years, I have stuck with all the hometown teams and will go back someday for good.

Cincinnati Reds
Cincinnati Bengals
University of Cincinnati Bearcats
Ohio State Buckeyes

Not a big hockey fan by any means and if I had to choose a Basketball team, it would be the San Antonio Spurs. They are the only team I have gone to see games for and have followed. I spent 7 years living there, so that would be that...

Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,796 times
You know what I think would be neat? Since the Canaries are the oldest Independent League Baseball Team (Started with the Northern League in 1993), they have alot of history. The Yankees have an Old-Timers Game every year, and I think that the Canaries could do the same, except maybe once every 4 or 5 years. Here's a few you could bring in:

Warren Gaspar- OF- 2004-05
Warren Gaspar (warren.gaspar@adeccona.com) - LinkedIn

Willie Ansley Jr.- OF-1995
Willie Ansley Jr. - Baseball Instruction - Sports/Recreation for Kids - Recreation/Outdoors - AllExperts.com

Gregg Maluchnik-C-2001-02
DLTB: About DLTB

Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
I am impressed with the Canaries' performace this year and with how long they have been around. Same way with the Skyforce, with them being with the D-league.

I am also routing for the Coyotes and wear the gear with great pride.

Of the Minnesota teams, I do not mind the Twins and T-Wolves, but cannot stand the Vikings (I sometimes call them the Viqueens).

I know of a few people in northern South Dakota who are big Minnesota Golfers Fans and a friend from Nebraska who lived in SD for seven years who was a Huskers fanatic.

One person likes Chicago teams: Cubs, Bulls, and Bears.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM

It's odd being in a city that doesn't have an NFL team because you get such a diverse following. People in Sioux Falls (for the most part) follow either the Vikings, the Packers, the Bears, or the Broncos. Needless to say, I get some looks when I wear my Carson Palmer jersey.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 AM

193 posts, read 786,177 times
Driving around town here in Sioux Falls, you'll see a few houses decorated with a BIG red N. Those Huskers really know how to attract a fan club around here. I was boating at Okoboji this past weekend, and I would have to say there was quite a bit of black and gold in Hawkeye country.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Oh yeah you see a pretty diverse fan base of college football as well here in Sioux Falls. The Hawkeyes, Huskers, and Gophers are all pretty well represented. Once again, being a Buckeye fan has me sticking out like a sore thumb !!!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,387 times
Ohio State fan.....try being a Virginia Cavalier fan.....imagine how much that sticks out! Specially when I went to college in Mankato, MN......all my friends were fans of gofigures (gophers :P)

Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 AM

34 posts, read 94,097 times
Hey when I move to Sioux Falls in October, do you think that I'll get strange looks wearing New York Yankee, Dallas Cowboy, New Jersey Devil or Michigan Wolverine jerseys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota