Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM

21 posts, read 101,158 times

Advertisements

I love SD too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times
Yes, we are hoping to catch the fireworks at Mt. Rushmore for sure! That was part of the reason for picking that week to travel out there. I've got a room for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Keystone that Thursday and Friday night and we fly back on Saturday the 5th. I can't wait! It should be awesome!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:42 AM

11 posts, read 25,568 times
I share your love of the black Hills. I travel there quite often. I have wanted to move there for a long time, but there are VERY few job opportunities, and the winters are even worse than they are here in Nebraska! I'll just keep visiting as often as I can there.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbright105 View Post
I share your love of the black Hills. I travel there quite often. I have wanted to move there for a long time, but there are VERY few job opportunities, and the winters are even worse than they are here in Nebraska! I'll just keep visiting as often as I can there.
Yes, I'm with you about the job opportunities but then again, people live there and have businesses, jobs, houses, cars, buy groceries, go out to eat, do their taxes, go to the doctor, just about like anywhere else. Here in Palm Coast, FL where I live, jobs are pretty scarce nowadays. I'm still working for a large developer finishing up a project but when that runs out, it would be very difficult to replace my current income locally. Yet, I do have this job here right now and at some point, there will be other opportunities. I figure, if I have to start all over again, I might as well do it where my heart is, which is of course, the black hills.

Look at the bright side, if there were opportunites for big money jobs at every corner, EVERYONE in the country would be considering moving there! The hills would be spoiled within 5 years. I'll find a way to make something work out there, one way or another.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Spoiled

Well good luck to you. I am working with a friend there on a business venture. By the way, my friend says there are already gated communities going up in the hills...isn't that a shame?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Quote:
By the way, my friend says there are already gated communities going up in the hills...isn't that a shame?
There have been gated communities in the Black Hills for years. Go west of Rapid City and that's basically all there is. Cinnamon Ridge, The Reserve, and South Canyon are just a few to name. It is kind of a shame. People move here from Denver or Los Angeles hoping to escape the cities and all they are doing is bringing it with them.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 AM

Default Gated communities

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. When I think of the black hills, I guess my mind instantly focuses on the area around the Reservation. I guess I should have said more gated communities encroaching on the boundaries of the Reseration. My mistake.
I love the simple beauty of the hills, and also the "city life" available in Rapid. We go to Rapid all the time but spend most of the time in the Keystone Area then onto the reservation. Paha Ska (RIP) was a friend of mine and I still go see Susan, his widow, quite often.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. When I think of the black hills, I guess my mind instantly focuses on the area around the Reservation. I guess I should have said more gated communities encroaching on the boundaries of the Reseration. My mistake.
I love the simple beauty of the hills, and also the "city life" available in Rapid. We go to Rapid all the time but spend most of the time in the Keystone Area then onto the reservation. Paha Ska (RIP) was a friend of mine and I still go see Susan, his widow, quite often.
I agree. On one hand, some of those communities create some jobs, on the other, they raise property values which in turn raise taxes and make it difficult for normal (I won't say lower, just normal) income people to make a living out there. This is one reason Montanans are NOT friendly to outsiders (especially Californians). When I lived in Montana for a short time, the popular saying was "Montana's biggest export is it's children" because kids growing up there in the small towns couldn't hope to afford a home and make a living there once the outsiders drove the property values through the roof. Of course, the generations of Montanans that SOLD that property for huge profits never accepted any blame for their hand in it. I met a man around '91 in Jacksonville Florida who was selling 15 acre parcels around Deadwood for $25,000 or so. Wish I'd bought one of those now!

I also met Paha Ska many times. What a nice man! Last time I saw him, we sat and talked for a while and I knew I'd not likely see him again. I learned later he'd passed on. He was part of Keystone for so long, it will seem different without him this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota