Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised we don't have a weather thread sticky for our state of SD. Moderator?

That wind last night was something! Local reports are that It clocked in at more than 60 mph, and it went on for hours and hours in the Yankton/Vermillion area. My power kept going on and off. I have lots of limbs down today.

We also had torrential rains and thunder. I can't even imagine what those of you who live West River are going through. If your snow has been as intense as our rain, and your winds as bad as ours here, you've really had some excitement!

Will you be telling your grandchildren about "The Christmas Blizzard of '16" in years to come?

Hope all are o.k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 03:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,045 times
We are in Minneapolis and the wind was howling at 2:45am. Enought to wake me and see if everything was allright. The night sky was clear with fast moving clouds: today was gloom with cold and flurries. Never heard wind sustained for so many hours, so fiercely!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Just updating - the Vermillion Plain Talk writes that the wind speed here was recorded at 72 mph on Christmas Day.

I thought 60 mph didn't seem high enough.

Yesterday I had to pull a branch out of the ground to add it to the brush pile - it had been driven by the winds into the soil about 8" deep!

Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I'm visiting SD (Mt Rushmore area) this week and yesterday was probably the best day (weather) that I've experienced in a long, long time (and I've lived in a lot of places). If SD's weather is like that everyday (dark, blue skies, sun, no wind) everyday, this place would be overrun.

I'm really enjoying the sights, sounds, and experience of being in the Black Hills - this place is amazing. Reminds me of my time around Lake Tahoe, Nevada/CA. I'm guessing that days like yesterday are very rare?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
Yesterday was ok. It was a little chilly at night, but an extra blanket can take care of that. As I have posted elsewhere, If our weather seems a bit bad, just stick around for an hour and it will change. If you are in the Black Hills, just drive to the other side of the hill.

uh

Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Yesterday the wind was obnoxious. Today was better. It was a cool start this morning. I was wearing my carhartt jacket for about an hour.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Went on a 24-mile roundtrip bike ride on the Michelson Trail between Custer and Pringle and yes, it was a little chilly (I was in shorts). So now I see the type of weather you get around here.....reminds me of my years in Europe....sunny one day, near freezing the next. It was in the 30s here in Custer couple of days ago early a.m. according to some of the weather apps.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
It's 46 degrees in Hot Springs right now!

uh

Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm visiting SD (Mt Rushmore area) this week and yesterday was probably the best day (weather) that I've experienced in a long, long time (and I've lived in a lot of places). If SD's weather is like that everyday (dark, blue skies, sun, no wind) everyday, this place would be overrun.

I'm really enjoying the sights, sounds, and experience of being in the Black Hills - this place is amazing. Reminds me of my time around Lake Tahoe, Nevada/CA. I'm guessing that days like yesterday are very rare?
We'll be visiting the Black Hills and Badlands 3rd week of June. I was a little hesitant at first since I learned June is a pretty rainy, but since we'll be in the "area" (the week before we'll be in Yellowstone) relatively speaking, and since we're from California and don't get out as often as we'd like we decided to go for it. We'll come prepared for anything. I hear it could be 100 degrees out in the Badlands, or a thunderstorm or even a late snow! Wow!
Ha ha... reminds me of a co worker of mine who said how boring our California climate was. He said he wanted to go back to Texas because he "missed the weather"! Lol!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Went on a 24-mile roundtrip bike ride on the Michelson Trail between Custer and Pringle and yes, it was a little chilly (I was in shorts). So now I see the type of weather you get around here.....reminds me of my years in Europe....sunny one day, near freezing the next. It was in the 30s here in Custer couple of days ago early a.m. according to some of the weather apps.
Hi Bucfan! I was just looking into this bike trail and it looks really cool. We weren't planning on taking our bikes with us but maybe we should.
From what I could see it's very family friendly and doesn't have too many hills? Our bikes are just 1 speed cruisers. We can pump up a small hill (or walk them up a steeper one) but we don't have the mountain variety. Do you think parts of the trail would be ok for cruisers?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota