Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,693,660 times

Advertisements

Reports on this are confusing.

According to the Sioux Falls newspaper, a passerby near the pipeline near Freeman saw oil accumulating in a ditch and reported it.

But Transcanada said for a while that it couldn't find a spill, or if there was one it was only about 187 gallons.

And then Transcanada requested a no-fly zone over the supposed spill site, so no one could really tell how big the spill was. But then the FAA rescinded the order.

And today the Sioux Falls paper says that the spill is spreading, but Transcanada still says the spill is "small" - just 16,800 gallons of oil.

TransCanada crew finds leak in oil pipeline, evaluates repair

That seems like a lot of oil to me, from a pipeline that is said to be only a few years old.

And now reports are that the oil is heading this way. The spill happened near the James and Missouri rivers and the groundwater contamination is heading to Yankton and Vermillion.

Jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,350,292 times
I suppose it's possible that Transcanada requested the no-fly zone so they could have safe access to inspect the pipeline route by air without contending with a dozen other aircraft in the area. I used to do some pipeline flight inspections myself. It's usually one person in the cockpit (the pilot) who must fly the plane and inspect the pipeline route from a low altitude. Too many planes flying low, out of radar contact, in the same area could be dangerous. Not sure if that's the case, but it's a possibility.

It might have been to prevent bad press, too. I'd hope not.

16,800 gallons (400 barrels) sounds like a lot of oil, but it would only be about half what a railroad tanker car would carry. That's not a lot considering it's a 590,000 barrel-per-day pipeline, nor considering what a trainload of oil tank cars could spill in a derailment.

I read that there were no shallow aquifers where the spill occurred. If not, that oil isn't going anywhere. When I was a kid some jerk dumped a semi-truck full of oil into our neighbors cornfield by dumping it in his roadside ditch. If he'd have dumped it on the other side of the road it would have been in OUR cornfield.

I can't recall the lasting damage nor the amount of land that was affected, but it wasn't major -- maybe 5 to 10 rows of corn a couple hundred feet long. (This would have been in the late '50s when I was just a lad.) It was next to a creek less than a mile upstream from the lake that supplied water to the town... and fish for ME! No oil went beyond the cornfield.

It sounds like this is under control. Could have been worse.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,872,894 times
It would be nice if we could get a factual report from an unbiased source, but that is always difficult.

uh

Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 AM

4,656 posts, read 6,530,842 times
"It might have been to prevent bad press, too"....ya think ??? "I'd hope not"....do the past actions of TransCanada give anyone reason to suspect they might have turned over a moral leaf ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota