Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,886 times

Advertisements

I'm happy to report that the Helfer family has been residing in Custer this past year, and they are very happy here! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM

83 posts, read 140,197 times
And they lived happily ever after. That my friend, is small town America, where everybody knows your name

Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycodmom View Post
And they lived happily ever after. That my friend, is small town America, where everybody knows your name
We sure hope so! =)

Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,325 times
I wish I was in SD living happily ever after! Omaha may have 4 of everything one could want, but it'll never have the Black Hills beauty and incredibly friendly people that you great folks have!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycodmom View Post
It's the beauty of living in a small town. It is a way to get the news about yourself before you know it.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,671 times
I posted back in 2012 about a possible move to spearfish, unfortunately we haven't been able to make the move yet. We have been to the Black Hills several times and we are still very much interested in the move. My husband and I both work in healthcare as support personnel, have seen many entry level positions at Regional Healthcare in RC and Spearfish. We would like to live in Spearfish or another nearby town, but may need to commute to RC for employment, is that something that is reasonable in the winter. Neither of us would have employment when we 1st move but have planned on using our savings till we both find employment. I understand that wages are lower in sd than nj is $10-12 hr a rate that would be reasonable to expect. I've read that many states have annual car taxes that range from $200 to $500 is there such a thing in SD. We are planning on coming out this summer for a couple weeks to really spend more time looking around and checking out houses and apartments. I would appreciate any current information that any one can add.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM

125 posts, read 184,237 times
There are no annual taxes on vehicles in SD. You do pay an excise tax when you first register a new vehicles but I believe it's only about 3% of the cars value. After that you only pay $50 or so each year to register the vehicle.

The commute from Spearfish to Rapid is doable in the winter but it wouldn't be much fun. It's just under an hour in good weather but could certainly be longer with bad weather. There might be a couple of days each winter when the interstate gets closed due to snow. I'm fairly certain Regional Healthcare has facilities in Spearfish that might be an option. You could also look for employment at the VA in Sturgis.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,163 times
The Interstate between Sturgis and Rapid City have a number of communities, Black Hawk, Summerset, Piedmont, to name a few. The Interstate between Rapid City and Spearfish is a very doable commute - lots of people do it. Spearfish is one of the more expensive towns for housing in the area, so between the cost of the commute to Rapid, and having an entry level position ones finances could be very stressed. Deadwood has a large amount of jobs in customer service that have potential for great tips and require minimal or easily achieved qualifications. There is also a Regional hospital in Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer, and I think Belle Fourche.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
The Interstate between Sturgis and Rapid City have a number of communities, Black Hawk, Summerset, Piedmont, to name a few. The Interstate between Rapid City and Spearfish is a very doable commute - lots of people do it. Spearfish is one of the more expensive towns for housing in the area, so between the cost of the commute to Rapid, and having an entry level position ones finances could be very stressed. Deadwood has a large amount of jobs in customer service that have potential for great tips and require minimal or easily achieved qualifications. There is also a Regional hospital in Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer, and I think Belle Fourche.

There is not a Regional clinic in Belle Fourche anymore, that I know of. They were closing it down when we moved away 4 years ago. I would NOT recommend Belle to someone moving into the area - not welcoming, depressed economy, and the crime rate is growing (not to mention that bullying in the schools is rampant).

Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Of any of the norther hills towns Spearfish is the most appealing. The rest of them, I'd pass.

I live in Rapid and drive to Sturgis to work. The driving west the road conditions turn at exit 44 and again at mile post 39. I do not have trouble with the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota