Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 53,468 times

Advertisements

hi all, i was wondering how long it would take to drive the top loop [needles hwy] in custer state park.
also how long for the bottom loop. [wildlife loop]
we were thinking on seeing mount rushmore,doing the needle hwy in the park then making it to deadwood before nite. is this reasonable?
thanks for any info. scooby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
scooby-

It is reasonable to see any attraction in Custer State Park within one day. It probably will not take more than a few hours to do both highways and then travel to Deadwood on the 385. I suggest that you do CSP in the morning, Mount Rushmore around noon and eat at the restaurant, then hit up Deadwood in the afternoon... it is a very scenic and enjoyable drive along the 385. It cuts the middle of the Black Hills!!!

Have Fun!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM

thanks danny, we will staying in rapid city the first nite, so thought rushmore would be on the way first. i suppose the wildlife would be out more in the morning though in the park. is that why you say to do the park first?
only a couple hours for the park?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:25 AM

14 posts, read 96,448 times
Having spent a couple of summers working at CSP, here are some cautions...Speed limit through the park is 35 MPH. You will discover why once you round a curve and find yourself face to face with a herd of buffalo who do have the right of way and will move when they decide. There are also burros who stop the cars begging for treats. The drive up to Sylvan is beautiful, winding and takes a while to navigate. Hopefully you will take time to stop and savor this beautiful park and what it has to offer. Personally, I cannot imagine doing Custer in a couple of hours. Any special events ie: Sturgis or Buffalo Roundup, holiday weekends will add to the local traffic everywhere. The crowds at Rushmore (out of CSP) can be large at times and traffic heavy. This whole area has so much to offer. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I agree with Celia,

Do not try to time your stay in CSP, you will feel rushed and you will miss out on the splendor and beauty of the park. You should feel free to lose track of time and enjoy the scenery. I cant think of another place where herds of buffalo walk right up to your car, or where you can see wildlife more free.

Deadwood won't even compare!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 96,448 times
PS: When those buffys stop your vehicle, PLEASE DO NOT GET OUT TO TAKE A PICTURE NOR TRY TO NUDGE THEM ALONG. These animals are fast, furious and have killed people. They also have been known to jump on the trunks of cars in protest...explain that to your insurance company! And for goodness sakes, even if you think the prarie dogs are cute, remember they carry a multitude of diseases. Keep your hands out of their holes..Rattlesnakes crawl in to cool off in the heat of the day. Not trying to scare you....the park is fun and interesting and a must see for anyone going to the area. Especially if you love nature. It was an incredible experience to work there. It was also incredible that visitors disregarded warnings and occasionally someone was injured.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks all for the replys and warnings. i will make note of them. i don't plan on trying to pet the wildlife, or dig in any holes. just trying to plan the days events. thanks again, scooby

Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM

97 posts, read 220,241 times
one other thing to consider...what are you driving?

The Needles Highway has limitations because of the one-lane tunnels and hairpin turns. Campers, motorhomes, and/or trailers won't make it!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM

thanks for the warning, we were going to take our moterhome until i seen the tunnels and did more research. so we are taking the car.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM

46 posts, read 149,971 times
I was just at Custer State Park this last summer and the wildlife loop can take as little as 45 minutes up until an hour and a half or two. You really do want to give yourself plenty of time because there is SO much to see. I stayed in Custer for a week and drove the wildlife loop around 4 times. The early morning is the best time to see a lot of animals. Enjoy your time in Custer, it's beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota