Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,099 times

Advertisements

Hello, All! I have lived on Long Island, NY all my life, but my kids are all big now and I'm moving to Custer sometime between Sept. 1 - 15th. I can't wait! I love NY and it's been good to me, but my sister lives in Custer (she recently relocated there, herself!) and it is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been.

I am on the lookout for an apartment, so if anyone knows of anything in Custer, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISue View Post
Hello, All! I have lived on Long Island, NY all my life, but my kids are all big now and I'm moving to Custer sometime between Sept. 1 - 15th. I can't wait! I love NY and it's been good to me, but my sister lives in Custer (she recently relocated there, herself!) and it is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been.

I am on the lookout for an apartment, so if anyone knows of anything in Custer, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Welcome to South Dakota and the same to your Sis!!! Glad you like it in the Custer area. The Hills area is one of the most beautiful places IMHO.

You may want to check out the Black Hills Pioneer, the Hill City Prevailer, and most of all~the Rapid City Journal. I know that the Journal is definitely online and you may be able to find something through the newspapers.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Jammie, for the friendly response. That's one thing that I've found in Custer and South Dakota, in general - - everyone seems very friendly. The Black Hills Pioneer has a site online (The Black Hills Pioneer, Newspapers, South Dakota, SD) but it is very sparse with no real useful information pertaining to real estate. I could find no online site for The Hill City Prevailer, and The Rapid City Journal has nothing listed for Custer. :::sigh:::

I really want to find a small house near to town to buy and fix up. I fell in love with one that would've been perfect for my purposes...it's tiny, only a couple of blocks off of "the main drag" and just enough property for me to take care of. The person selling the property turned down my offer because he thinks that it's worth more than it really is. It needs an awful lot of work - a new kitchen and a new bathroom, just to make it liveable. I think that the owner's taken the house off of the market because it was offered for sale for ten months and the only offers that he got for the place were - in his opinion - too low. Oh well, - back to the drawing board!

So - since I have to live somewhere, I thought that I would look around for something while I search for the "perfect" house in Custer. I'm very lucky, though, because even if I don't get an apartment, I can move in and "mooch" off of my sister for a while! haha.

Thanks again for your reply and keep your eyes and ears open for me!

-Sue-

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Apartments in Custer, SD 57730 on Yahoo! Local.

Wow, you're right. There isn't much for sale in Custer and the houses I found are larger and pretty expensive. I did a search on apartments and two is all that came up. Have you checked these out?

I'm not sure what the real estate market is doing in the Hills, but it's doing quite well in the eastern part of the state. Sioux Falls just reported a 5% increase in real estate sales. I'm just afraid that with the new science lab coming in, houses will really skyrocket out in the Hills.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM

82 posts, read 276,273 times
Coming from New York, the high real estate taxes obviousely don't bother you. For the locals there though, the income doesn't justify the rates. Will you be working or retired? I grew up in Custer and left when I was 21. I visit every few years to attend family reunions, but only in the summer. I haven't been there during the winter since I left, though my family claims the winters aren't neat as cold as they used to be. Not near as much snow either. In fact, it has 100 degree days in the summer sometimes, which I don't remember occuring when I grew up there. We didn't have air conditioning and I don't ever remember it being on the wish list. About 6 years ago when I was there, I was wishing for AC though.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 PM

For rentals, the local paper and real estate agents are about the only way to find a rental unless you know someone who lives there who can ask around. Though I'm sure there must be some apartments somewhere, I don't remember seeing any and nor know of anyone who lives in one there. If you don't mind living in a mobile home for awhile, there is a motel with a MH park behind it across from President's Resort East of town that rents them very cheap by the night if one is available. In fact, if you are going just to visit, it's a heck of a lot nicer than most of the motel rooms in town that charge 3 and 4 times as much.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-28-2007 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Please PM that info.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 AM

157 posts, read 716,135 times
Just to personally interject--and I don't know anything about the housing market in Custer. However I'm a New York-aphile from waaay back when I was stationed in the Army at Governors Island/Fort Jay in the early 60s. With that aside, I'm also a native South Dakotan. And Custer has been a motel destination for us as we re-visit the Black Hills.

This is just a wild guess, but why not put an ad in the Custer paper? One angle might be splitting a duplex with someone. For some reason, it's usually hard for real estate agents to rent a vacant duplex? Maybe people have a mindset of "oh, it's just half a house." That's certainly worth a try. And the aforementioned mobile home is another good idea. I've seen that mobile part area.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:38 PM

Have you tried yellow pages on site for Custer yet? I finally got my bearings and do remember 2 apartment buildings in town and with so much building done on the outskirts of town, it's likely more have been built. And Custer's Chamber of Commerce is very helpful.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
I tried a curve ball to get info for you. Didn't work. I logged onto Crazy Horse memorial and went to employment opportunities. they have a section that says "Housing". But all it said was "The local paper is a good source to find housing."

Darnit, I tried. haha

Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Hi Sin, Jim & jg - - I have tried everything I can think of to search on the web for something. I guess that the area is so small that they really don't have that much in the way of rentals, yet.

I have a few people on the lookout for me in the area, though. My sister and a couple of friends, so hopefully something will turn up soon. It's not a dire problem because I'll be staying at my sister's until something comes up. I just hate to move all the way to Custer and then have to move again. :::sigh:::

Thanks for your help, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota