Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM

47 posts, read 108,658 times

Advertisements

Just interested in other people's thoughts on which state do they like the best of these three (South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana). What are the pluses and minuses of each as far as living there???

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 108,411 times
Default tri state music

SD is the least desertlike of the three and for that reason alone I prefer SD. Growing things with ease is rewarding.

Non professional wages in WY can be surpringly high and WY state workers are paid highest of the three states but I prefer the midwesterness of SD. Read some of author Annie Proulx 1999 Close Range fictional short stories to garner some flavor for modern day WY.

The entire state of MT, not unlike WY, is high plains desert, remote with weather that is abominably harsh canvased generally with low wages.

I've lived in all three states. I have family buried in all three. They are all home to me.

Where your family, friends and satisfying work are is what matters.

All three can provide that. Life is not easy anywhere. Right?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I can't speak of Montana, but I grew up in South Dakota and now live in Wyoming.

The worst winters I've ever experienced in my life were in Rapid City and in Miller South Dakota. I spent 15 years in Rapid City and remember many days that I had to walk to school because vehicles couldn't move. They bladed the streets, but there was so much snow that blades took a long time getting around town.

Wages in South Dakota were low. If it wasn't for the Federal Government raising MINIMUM WAGE, most folks in South Dakota wouldn't have gotten a raise. But I will say, there are a lot of small towns in SD that minimum wage will get you by quite well.

Also, I never liked the politics of South Dakota. I'm not talking Dem or Rep, I'm talking about for some reason, the politicians in SD always flip flopped. Even back in the 60's. They wouldn't stand.

Now I live in Wyoming and have for 15 years. I DO NOT live in high desert. The Eastern side of the state, along with the far South side of the state are high desert for the most part. But the Medicine Bows (by Laramie), the Big Horns, the Tetons, and basicall the whole Western end of the state are all mountains and trees. Very green area.

Last winter, I plowed snow 5 times and not once was the snow more then 10 inches deep. Very little wind where I live, although some of the state is famous for it's wind.

Gardens do fine where I live. Yes, it is a shorter growing season then South Dakota but it's fine to grow just about everything you would want.

The Politics in Wyoming have been pretty strong standing on their morals. Right now we have a Rep Senate and a Dem Gov. But Wyoming is more middle of the road then anyplace I've ever lived. Folks around here vote for who will do the best job, regardless of party.

The schools in Wyoming are much better funded then South Dakota or Montana.

55% of the state is state owned land so hunting is not a problem. You can hunt any state land. In South Dakota, when I left, it was getting to the point that you really had to know somebody in order to hunt on Private Land. Same with fishing.

As far as Montana goes, I've traveled through quite a few times. The Eastern end of the state is high plains with most of the rest of the state running to Mountainous type terrain.

Of the three, I would much prefer Wyoming.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM

28 posts, read 108,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Now I live in Wyoming and have for 15 years. I DO NOT live in high desert. The Eastern side of the state, along with the far South side of the state are high desert for the most part. But the Medicine Bows (by Laramie), the Big Horns, the Tetons, and basicall the whole Western end of the state are all mountains and trees. Very green area.
The entire state of WY is high desert. Deserts can be mountainous, they can also have greenery, certainly trees. There are more wapitistalkers in WY than in SD due to the later being a middle plains state with less big game. And South Dakotans are generally happy in that regard. Pheasants abound in SD but unlike some fictional politicians, they do stand. In fact its difficult at times to coax flight. I've seen very few flip.

I prefer SD.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 15,895 times
Hello all,

I am new to the forum thing but I have read some really good posts on this site over the years and wanted to give it a try. I am currently stationed overseas in S.Korea and will be relocating to Panama City Fl in a few weeks. With that being said I am very interested in working at one of the missile sites in either Great Falls MT or Cheyenne WY. I am 31 (August 14) and I am married with four children. I am a little on the conservative side with very high Christian values. I have visited Polson MT and Great Falls but never for an extended period of time maybe 3 weeks at the most. However, I truely enjoyed the time I did spend there. Glacier Park was beautiful . My wife lived there for a year with her parents while I was stationed in Korea back in 2005 and she absolutely loved it. Now on the other hand I have never been to Wyoming but it does interest me. The fact that Denver is only 2 hrs away is appealing to me. I like the idea of living in a smaller city yet with access to a larger one. I love the outdoors and all the seasons that come along with it. I do fish and like horse back riding. I have never hunted but I will try anything once (almost anything). I grew up in Louisiana and have spent a lot of time in Florida and would like a change in atmosphere. So I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind weighing in with your thoughts on which area would be better? I am interested in the housing market (i would probably live on base but you never know until you get there), recreational activities other than outdoor stuff. Are there museums, amusement parks, zoos stuff like that. Also what is the crime like or lack of. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated, good or bad is welcome just looking for honesty.

Thnx
Amer1canAmn

Last edited by Amer1canAmn; 08-19-2010 at 02:23 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 82,154 times
Default all

Geez..Apple Betty gave such a good answer that it's the only one your need. I like Montana the most 'cause I've never been there. I been all over SD and WY and love 'em both. I grew up in Eastern SD near the missouri river and realllly liked and like it....It's desolate and stuff but that's what I like..family and friends make it a heckuvaplace....AND fishing and Hunting drive the likeability of it all home!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Can't really judge Wyoming. I've only seen very little of it.
I would have to say South Dakota.

The Montana you see in all the brochures, you know... that last best place everyone wants to go to? That's really only about 1/3 of the state. The rest is nothing to write home about. Drab.. desolate.. brown.. rock. If all of Montana were like that 1/3 in the very western part, it'd be different. But even that part of the state doesn't have enough leafy trees, IMO.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
there are advantages to all of them. Eastern SD is actually green in the summer most years, not brown, but nothing to write home about. personally from a scenery standpoint I'd take western SD, Wyoming, Western Nebraska, Colorado, and Parts of Montana. I really wanna drive through all these areas, since terrain will vary from one side of the state to another.

For jobs/economy, eastern SD for the win. Sioux Falls, Brookings, Watertown, Mitchell. I like Mitchell.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 PM

190 posts, read 433,466 times
I guess I have to be impartial on this question. You see I am an avid rockhunter, (Fairburn Agates, Petrified Wood and a large hunter of many gems of different kinds). Montana is great for Moss Agates among other interesting stuff, Wyoming has some good Jade & Agates, but, South Dakota is easily known as The Rock Hunters Heaven, western South Dakota that is. One can find up to nearly a thousand different types of specimens. So, South Dakota, my home, is by far my choice. South Dakota also has several areas of Leaverites too.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I am living in my favorite part of the state. I love here is western South Dakota. I lived in Pierre for 11 years, and I was so happy to be out of there.

I have played in most of Wyoming and Montana. As long as I have Mountains in close sight I am there. Some Valleys for ranching and haying would be fine with me. I am thinking in a few years I might journey that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota