Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 117,947 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could give me some good advice on the 1st steps on moving?
first off- we have a tanning and fitness business that we either need to sell as a whole or piece everything out to sell. Our lease is up and we are just going month by month for rent payments, all I need to do is give a 30 day notice.
2nd -we have a house, two years left on payments, I really don't think we'll have trouble selling the house, but in order to move we need the money from that house to help with expenses and to find another place to live in.

3rd-,my hubby has a good paying job here, hoping that we can find something that pays descent in Rapid City...do we find a job first before we sell the house?

So my question is this, where does a person start?
Do you find a job first, then sell the house, close or sell the businesses, have him move down there while I'm here settling everything here and then I move down there with the kids?
How do most people go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,894 times
I'd talk to an agent about listing your home first... start shopping around for jobs, but if you get a job offer, you would need to decide if you want to leave your home unsold or not....

I got a great job offer when we were moving from Denver that I could no turn down - we left our house on the market and unsold - it has been hard making double payments, but this was a job that would not come around again, so I definatly wanted to take it

Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 PM

I think your'e right, It would be awful if we got a job but could'nt move until our house sold.
I'm going to call an agent sometime this week about listing my house.
Were are going down to Rapid in August for the bike rally to check things out and hope to look around for job opportunities.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM

185 posts, read 746,349 times
Hi Anglespa,

I read your other post regarding what you want to do when you get here to R.C. if you spa equipment is in good condition you may want to hang on to it to get you started here.

I don't know what your financial situation is but when you decide to list your home be realistic in your asking price and you should be able to sell in a reasonable time frame remember someone will either need to buy you out with cash or qualify for a loan a much more difficult thing these days.

Do plenty of research on the area you want to move to. You may want to consider renting for awhile before you buy that will keep you more flexible in case your circumstances change.

As far as household goods & furniture are concerned it may be less expensive to sell everything and start fresh it just depends on how attached you are to them or their value.

Right now in R.C. it is less expensive to rent a home than to buy one but as that gap becomes smaller then the time to buy may be at hand you just have to keep your eyes and ears open to changes in the real estate market.

Good luck to you in your new adventure

Chewy

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM

I don't own a spa, yet! But I do own a fitness center and a tanning salon...
I know we want to sell out the fitness part, but I was thinking about keeping my tanning equipment... I just don't have a place to store it if I do move and I don't want to bring it along, there are such big pieces of equipment...
I probably won't be able to open up a spa for a couple of years in Rapid City since I have to go to hair school first and work under someone who's licensed for a year after that...so it's probably best that I do sell out
Thanks for your advice though!

I live in a town of 2500 people and there are 2 houses for sale in the local newspaper, houses are selling like crazy in my area. Real Estate is going quite high right now too, so we should think about selling soon.

We do have alot of furniture, all new too, so we'll be keeping most of it...
I'm having a rummage sale this weekend trying to get rid of alot that I don't want to bring along and I'm hoping to have another one in a couple of months.

thanks for all your advice! I really do appreciate it!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 AM

185 posts, read 746,349 times
Sounds like you have your plan in place so get that house sold and take the plunge. R.C. & the Blk. Hls. are awsome this area should really take off in the near future.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 AM

YEAAAAAA!
Can't wait to move there and get out of this small town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota