Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,600 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ohio and am expecting a job offer any day for a position in Florence. I am a single mom with an eight year old child. Trust me, this city wouldn't have been my first choice as I was really hoping for the Greenville area. Given the economy and the fact that I need a job, I can't be choosy.

I came to this forum via the city-data.com informational page. When I was browsing information about Florence, I was horrified and scared stiff by the number of registered sex offenders in Florence, SC.

Where can I live that I don't have to be in fear for my daughter all the time?? Sumter has even more RSO's than Florence, and I need a location where there are good schools and she is safe.

Help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:00 PM

235 posts, read 528,962 times
Well, sex offenders are going to be everywhere no matter where you live, Florence does have a lot more activity for a city its sides but dont pay so much detail to statistics. The places I recommend for you to live in that would be safe for you and your daughter would be neighborhoods in the West Florence school district which also tend to have the best schools too(Royall, Briggs, Moore, Carver). Vintage Place, Hampton Pointe, Forest Lake, Lake Oakdale, Grove Park and Windsor Forest are just some of the best neighborhoods in this area. If you have any more questions then I would be happy to answer them.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,600 times
Thank you for the response - I really appreciate it. I have already jotted down the schools and the neighborhoods and will gear my searches toward them when I head down there in a couple of weeks. I will have a couple of days or so for my first visit.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincymom513 View Post
Where can I live that I don't have to be in fear for my daughter all the time??
i can give you recommendations on how to handle fear, but i don't think you would like them.

i know a "registered sex offender" who had consentual sex with a 17 year old, when he was in his early 20's. i personally don't see a reason to be afraid of him.

if you want to be in the best area, compare elementary school demographics, and live inside the district boundary of the elementary school whose statistics match what you are looking for in a neighborhood. I have found that this is the easiest way to find the most suitable part of town for anyone.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,923,468 times
There is no place you can move to without sex offenders. Period.
Watch your daughter like a hawk, that goes for boys too.
No matter where you live, don't let them ever go any place alone.
Especially at the bus stop, and known places to anyone to grab children.
Terrible way to live, but it WORKS.
Good Luck to you and I know you'll love South Carolina!!!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 31,270 times
Hello...
I read your post about moving to the Florence area. Well as far as sex offenders go, i guess we do have our share. But I don't think its anything to worry about. General safety depends on if you pick the right neighborhoods. Uh, I would agree with one of the replies, the West Florence area is probably better. Cherokee Rd is a very nice choice. Edisto Dr as well (this area may actually be more like central florence). Those roads intersect so any neighborhood in that general area is good. You have Royall Elementary. uh West Florence High where I went to school, which is near the major shopping area, if you want to call it major. Sneed Middle School. Forest Lake is also a more upscale neighborhood if that's your price range. Avoid North Florence and also East Florence, even areas close to downtown. Not to sound bad but those tend to be areas of neglect if you catch my drift. Although much is being done to improve our downtown district. It's all in the works. You can look that up online at cityofflorence.com to get more ideas. I don't like Second Loop Rd and that general area. But again depends on the neighborhood, there is an upscale area over there by Jefferies Creek. Um, South Florence is ok. Theyre bulding more over that way all the time. Ahhh. Almost forgot Oakdale. It's always been considered a nice neighborhood. West Florence of course. Just search for homes near Pine Needles Rd, also Ebenezer Rd. Check out Grove Park neighborhood as well. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM

469 posts, read 763,041 times
Unless the original poster is a physician or lawyer, it would be difficult for a single parent to afford a home in Grove Park, Windsor Forest, Vintage Place, or Hampton Pointe. I do agree it would be best to get as close to these West Florence subdivisions as possible. One issue that hasn't been mentioned is school faculty/staff having inappropriate relationships with students. Just be careful and I wish you the best of luck in your move.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,692 times
Stick to the West Florence School District side. You'll pay more for a house here but guess what? The resale will be higher too. And the schools are much better. Plus it's closer to good shopping areas.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:36 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
This should help in terms of schools: South Carolina schools - SC elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
Bear in mind that SC has no public urination law. This means that men (or women) caught urinating behind a dumpster at, say, a nightclub will be prosecuted for "indecent exposure". Indecent exposure is a sex crime associated with flashing and such. This could VERY likely cause sex offender numbers to be unrealistically in SC and/or Florence. I'm certainly not telling you to have no concern about sex offenders, but some facts might help you keep things in better perspective when viewing statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina