Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,299 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I have recently been offered a very well paying job in Florence and I was wondering what the city was like? I'm 26 and have been living in Tampa Fl for the last 6 years, in the rural area of town zepherhills area. What are good places to live? whats there to do? what are the people like? I went to myrtle beach about 10 years ago but i was young so i dont really remember much of it. any information helps thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM

194 posts, read 750,247 times
Don't know much about the Tampa area you mention but Florence is surrounded by several small rural towns so you might feel right at home. Can't say anything bad about the area myself as I used to live about an hour away and Florence is where many people in the outlying towns go for the amenities.

Lots of friendly people in the Florence area & Myrtle Beach is a little over an hour drive it you want to go to the beach for the day. West Florence has seen more growth overall than other areas of Florence and while there is plenty to do depending on your interests it is not a large city.

You can check out https://www.city-data.com/city/Floren...-Carolina.html

Good hospitals, home to Florence Darlington Tec and Francis Marion University. Not like Tampa by any stretch but it is worth a look especially if you have a great job opportunity.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM

1,464 posts, read 2,974,417 times
Well since you've been living in a rural area then you wouldn't mind Florence. An hour from Columbia and Myrtle Beach if you want to go to larger areas to visit for anything Florence does not offer

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM

8,284 posts, read 13,459,942 times
You should definately go there and spend the day/weekend if you can before you decide. By SC standards.. Florence is a small city.. which means it has all the amenities of most cities in both SC and NC though on a smaller scale. It has an airport with commercial air service (though pricey) but that is HUGE in terms of getting in and out of town. It has a small State University (Francis Marion) a rather large tech college and has an emerging downtown in terms of being redeveloped.

I lived in Florence for 7 years so I have seen it go from kind of a big town to a small city (again by SC standards which are different from FL standards).. It is right on 95 which is good for access.. It is served by Amtrak (a plus) and is only an hour or so from the beach, Charleston, Columbia, Charlotte and other places that you may consider going. You said its a 'well paying' job which is ALWAYS a good thing since you can always live in Florence and afford to get the hell out for vacations if you cant stand it.... All in all you should enjoy it if you like small towns.. Florence will seem like a step up being a small City.... Good luck

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,676 times
I just have to reply... We've lived near Tampa (in Brandon) and we live in Florence now (for 4 years). Also, we lived in Wisconsin and Tennessee (all rural areas). If you are 26, you will go crazy living in Florence. It's like going back to the 1950's mindset. It's the only place we have ever lived that doesn't have recycling service outside of the city limits. There's no night life. Everything closes at midnight or before. However, if you don't mind driving 1 hr 30 min to get somewhere exciting, then you'll be fine. Everyone said that Myrtle Beach is only an hour away... that's not true. It's 1 hr 30 min at least, but during the summer months it's more like 3 hours because of traffic. If you are looking to start a family and center your life around a church, and send your children to private school, then you'll probably like it. I haven't met anyone your age that likes living in Florence. If you can deal with it for a few years to enhance your career, it may be worth it though.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,590 times
My husband recently got a job with Amtrak in Florence, and we're moving from West Virginia. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what area is the best to live in. We need to live close to the Amtrak station but don't want to be right in town. We like more of a country kind of setting. I'd appreciate any help.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,799,799 times
Take a look at Timmonsville, which is maybe 10 miles away. All the money and commerce was sucked out of Timmonsville into Florence but there are a couple of really lovely tree-lined streets and VERY reasonable real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina