Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 PM

16 posts, read 73,241 times

Advertisements

We're looking at moving to the Cottageville/Walterboro area. We never considered the mobile/manufactured homes until we saw a few and now I think that's what were going with. They're just beautiful and they have so much more square footage then regaluar homes. The one we have our eye on is only 3 years old and it's on a permanent foundation. Any input (bad or good) will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 AM

27 posts, read 158,493 times
Default Mobile/manufactured homes are a good idea

I too, have been looking at Mobile/manufactured housing for the last 6 months or so. You do get a lot of house for the money. I've done a lot of research, so I will offer this advice: Once you find a home, have it inspected by a mobile/manufactured home inspector. Not a regular home inspector. Check with a local M.H. dealer to find one in the area. They are familiar with the idiosyncracies of a M.H. that a regular inspector may not be. The web is an excellent source of information. Good luck with your search and purchase!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Find more info. before making a purchase of a manufactured home. From what I've heard, you have to pay personal property tax on them and they depreciate not appreciate.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 AM

291 posts, read 1,782,105 times
The land will appreciate. From what I have read the newer ones are much better constructed than the older ones. I am leaning that way as well.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:07 PM

16 posts, read 73,241 times
Thanks for all of the info folks.
Mobile/manufactured home inspector ... excellent advice, never would have thought of it.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 AM

28 posts, read 116,109 times
Default Mobile/manufactured homes

Who would anyone recommend to find good mobile/manufactured homes, I was looking through the MLS but then found that maybe dealers had some home-land deals also,
We found one dealer Kent-Gault, any other good dealers out there that offer used (pretty new though) for mobile homes on there own land besides going through the MLS.

And anyones opion on the best one to go through, any inuput would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
Before you buy, check on homeowner's insurance for the area where you intend to live. You don't want to put a mobile home in an area that is considered to be in the hurricane band area.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 AM

86 posts, read 611,306 times
Also, they are very hard to finance and resale is also very hard.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,878 times
Default mobile/manufactured homes

This will be the worst mistake of your life! Most of the homes have
mold damage. There is no way out after you buy one. Even after buying a
new one , You can not sue the manuf. after the first 3 years. Most sellers
will let the problems ride out until this time is up. Our home has water coming
in where the walls meet the roof ( no way to fix but put on a new roof that
covers the org roof with more hang over) no way to see damage thru the walls.!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM

890 posts, read 4,328,083 times
The Walterboro area can get some pretty wicked storms. I would not want to be riding one out in a mobile home. One just flipped over during the nor easter last week. The first thing flashed across the tv screen during bad storms is to leave mobile homes immediately and seek shelter in a secure solid structure. Yeah, just what you want to be doing during a bad storm. What if it comes in the middle of the night? A lot of them do.

I have never seen the land a mobile home is sitting on be worth a lot of money unless it is sitting in the middle of a developed commercial area and even then it isn't much. Waiting for something like that to catch up to you and thinking you will make a fortune will probably take a lifetime considering there is a lot of land in SC.

Last edited by scjj; 04-20-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina