Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 PM

41 posts, read 171,172 times

Advertisements

Weare moving from ny to maybe summerville or columbia sc . which is the best place to live ,work, shop . does anyone know . homes forsale in fla were not great.winters are bad here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 01:33 PM

50 posts, read 227,600 times
This question has been addressed in many of the threads of this forum. You'll find a lot of information if you go back and read some of the earlier posts.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,482,489 times
sallyo, I'd be happy to recommend something, but you'll have to be a little more specific.

as far as shopping: Charleston, Myrtle Beach, or Charlotte. Columbia and Greenville aren't bad either.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 12,618 times
I have lived in Columbia, SC, where I worked in law enforcement, and I must say I do not recommend that living area to anyone. I was there for a couple years and there is really nothing there except for partying and crime. It is a horrible area as far as college partying to the extreme and the homeless. I would recommend Lexington, SC if you want that area. It is about 15-20 minutes from Columbia and away from all that. It is a smaller town. As far as Myrtle Beach, I actually live here now. I am not impressed with it either. It is completely dead to the nightlife and jobs. There are very few major stores in each area and stay packed (i.e Walmart). I guess it just depends on what you want. I live not even 10 miles from the beach and for renting a home, we pay $800. It is not a big home either and our considered to live on the outskirts. It is also a retirement place. If you are under the age of 30, I recommend living somewhere else. Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM

540 posts, read 1,680,158 times
Wouldn't recommend Myrtle Beach for shopping. Like scliving said, there isn't much here besides outlets and the typical mall. I found more stuff in Charleston than here.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 PM

14,501 posts, read 20,702,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyo View Post
Weare moving from ny to maybe summerville or columbia sc . which is the best place to live ,work, shop . does anyone know . homes forsale in fla were not great.winters are bad here.
I'd suggest Fort Mill in York County. You'll get the low S.C. gas prices and taxes but be within 5-10 miles of Charlotte for shopping or working. The Fort Mill area is really growing and anything you want to buy is there. If it is not, you got Charlotte very close. If you need a good real estate agent please send me a message.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 PM

32 posts, read 66,104 times
Quote:
You would probably like Summerville better. It has more charm than Columbia and Myrtle Beach. We do not care for Myrtle Beach, we refer to it as the "Redneck Riviera"

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

14,501 posts, read 20,702,752 times
Quote:
luckily in S.C. you have at least one good choice.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 PM

12,946 posts, read 18,805,608 times
The problem with a question like this is: Are you really going to pay attention to anyone's opinion or are you going to figure it's different strokes?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper98 View Post
You would probably like Summerville better. It has more charm than Columbia
Agree with the above opinion. Summerville and the Charleston metro have far, far, far more charm than Columbia. You'll like Summerville, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina