Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,693 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Interracial couple with several biracial children that are elementary aged. Currently live in another, larger and much more diverse area of the state and are considering moving to Florence. I am white, my wife is dark skinned black woman. She has some concerns regarding the interracial marriage and how people will look at us and particularly, our kids there in Florence. I am not really sure that I agree with her but perhaps I am living in la-la land, so I wanted to find out others' opinions that are familiar with and live in the area. Please let me know any thoughts you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:51 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
You’ll be fine. Nobody really pays attention to that anymore.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
I probably shouldn't even comment since I'm in the Greenville area.I agree with 4USC.I think those days are over really in the whole state.

I'm worried about something else.I just hope you will be getting a HUGE raise to consider moving(shudder) to Florence.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Any stares you will get is because it is less common to see a white man with a black lady versus the opposite. They will not be stares of hate, more of curiosity.

I am white and my lady friend is black. Granted I am quite a bit older than her so we get double stares. Color and age but again, never rude nor crude.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:04 PM

You dirty old man.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I probably shouldn't even comment since I'm in the Greenville area.I agree with 4USC.I think those days are over really in the whole state.

I'm worried about something else.I just hope you will be getting a HUGE raise to consider moving(shudder) to Florence.
Yea, I know. There are a few reasons that have made us consider it, the biggest being that we could sell our house here and have enough equity to pay off all of our debt and get twice the house for less money there. The cost of living in this area has just gotten ridiculous. Plus, we would have family there, which our kids have never experienced. Were it not for those 2 things, then yes, you are right. Why would anyone in their right mind want to leave where we are and move to Florence??

Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
It seems like Florence would have similar percentage of black, white and Hispanic people as rest of state. Probably a higher percentage of black people.

Where you currently live?

Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,055 times
Hello, I have lived in Florence since 1991. I am currently dating an African American woman from Myrtle Beach and have no issues. Second, I appreciate the fact that you talk so highly(negative) of my hometown. We in Florence really appreciate it

Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloK Man View Post
Hello, I have lived in Florence since 1991. I am currently dating an African American woman from Myrtle Beach and have no issues. Second, I appreciate the fact that you talk so highly(negative) of my hometown. We in Florence really appreciate it
Yea, but there is a big difference in your dating a black woman and being married to a black woman, with several biracial children and having to worry about raising those children in a smaller area like Florence. We have no issued in Charleston, but we had to wonder how well they would be accepted there. I was born in Florence and lived there for 20 years. Left in the late 80's and trust me, back then, it would have been a major issue to deal with.
I dont mean to sound condescending, but honestly, compare living in both areas. Charleston vs. Florence. Were it not for the skyrocketing of the cost of living in Charleston, why would anyone choose to live in Florence over living in Charleston? Come on.....

Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Slick, you have been at this a month and EVERYBODY says you are worrying too much.Are you waiting to get a different answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina