Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:24 PM

152 posts, read 351,452 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread about areas of Florence outside downtown (since there's already a thread about that). It will help others not from Florence to gain a better picture of the area, including those who are considering moving here. I'll post pictures showing the good, and the not so good. Hopefully others will contribute as well.

First off, is the area just off of I-95/I-20. This area continues to expand with hotels & businesses. Some might say Florence's more impressive skyline is the row of hotels going up behind the Civic Center

The row of hotels on Hospitality Drive (behind Toys R Us/Big Lots) is soon to be five deep

The last of those being this Fairfield Inn by Marriott, still under construction

Two new hotels are going up on Radio Drive, the Staybridge & the Homewood Suites, which will bring the total number of hotels on the I-95/I-20 exit to 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 PM

The corner of Palmetto and W Evans Street has long been abandoned and neglected, surprising given the traffic volume at that intersection. But not for long, as the European supermarket chain Lidl will be building a store on the site in 2017. This was talked about 9 months ago on SCNow, and is finally coming to fruition.

This is the view from the future site of Lidl toward the Five Points area

One concern for many will be getting in and out of the store, primarily crossing traffic. The Wal-Mart Neighborhood market off the 2nd Loop/Cashua intersection, just a short distance away, is difficult to get out of if you're hoping to head west or south.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 PM

308 posts, read 468,613 times
There is land being cleared across from Davis Elementary, does anyone know what will be going here. I believe I read awhile back apartments or condos. Can anyone confirm?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
The corner of Palmetto and W Evans Street has long been abandoned and neglected, surprising given the traffic volume at that intersection. But not for long, as the European supermarket chain Lidl will be building a store on the site in 2017. This was talked about 9 months ago on SCNow, and is finally coming to fruition.

what happened to the little shopping center on that corner? i used to go to the Naturally Outdoors camping store there.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM

I'd assume apartments/condos. It's too far out for any commercial or retail establishment. Not sure what that area is zoned for.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Interesting.. thanks for sharing.. I was in Florence when the Civic Center was built.. which was the catalyst for most of the development in that area. I wished it was in the downtown area.. I think the revival would has started back then (90s) and the City Center would look totally different. That said, it seems to be going in the right direction despite not having the Civic Center there and now the FMU Performing Arts and Little Theatre have offered a smaller more manageable version of an entertainment venue to suit downtown....

Anything happening east of town past the Airport towards FMU? I know there was some stuff happening around the Flea Market but not to the extent of what is happening in west and south Florence.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:17 PM

There's still nothing much happening on the east side. The mile long strip of manufactured home dealers across from the airport has been reduced to one lone seller, with the much of the remaining properties barren and neglected. Aside from a truck stop/convenience store on the corner of 76 & 327 (across from the flea market), nothing of note has been built going out toward FMU in the last 20 years. It's like that part of town is stuck in some sort of time warp. Poor demographics (which businesses use to pinpoint areas to locate), and the trashy look of that whole strip in general, isn't helping much.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM

I definitely agree with this, this area needs major investment and clean up from the city and county. I believe before any real development happens there needs to be multi family residential tailored to the college student's built first.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
There's still nothing much happening on the east side. The mile long strip of manufactured home dealers across from the airport has been reduced to one lone seller, with the much of the remaining properties barren and neglected. Aside from a truck stop/convenience store on the corner of 76 & 327 (across from the flea market), nothing of note has been built going out toward FMU in the last 20 years. It's like that part of town is stuck in some sort of time warp. Poor demographics (which businesses use to pinpoint areas to locate), and the trashy look of that whole strip in general, isn't helping much.

That mobile home strip is ripe for light industrial development.. It has highway frontage and rail access in the rear.. I doubt any housing goes in there because its in the direct flight path of the Airport.. If not for that it would be a great area for housing given its proximity to downtown. Retail could be another possibility but as you mentioned the demographics are likely not there.

There is a rail line that goes over 378 but it has been abandoned at both ends other than over the highway itself.. I saw a plan somewhere to turn it into a cycling/pedestrian bridge. The problem is it doesn't connect you to anything people would want to walk/cycle to.. A better use would be to re-establish the rail line and somehow get it closer to the Airport. Since FLO only has one airline and maybe a half a dozen flights daily.. Why not try to pursue some sort of Fed Ex/Cargo Hub with an intermodal rail connection? Don't know if air freight is a big business or not.. but this airport is likely the closet commercial airport to the major Atlantic Coast Trunk Rail Line that runs from NYC to Florida. I believe cargo jets could land at FLO.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM

There is a sold sign on the old Sav Way gas station across from Carolinas Hospital. The property that has sat vacant for years, does anyone know what's going on with this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina