Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,771 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from Northeast PA to SC. I've been debating between North Carolina and South Carolina but SC seems to stand out more. The two areas that I've been researching are Greenville and Rock Hill/Fort Mill. Just wanted to hear other's inputs and preferences on the area. I visited Greenville back in April and really liked it but want to explore options before settling on one.

A little about me: I just recently graduated from college and my husband and I want to venture out and move somewhere while we don't have any big obligations. We like smaller towns and more rural areas but I'm willing to work in the city where there are more jobs.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
You'd have to provide more information on your needs and preferences before anyone could make a recommendation. Rock Hill/Fort Mill is part of a metropolitan area that's much larger than Greenville so that may make a difference for you, especially if you wind up working in Charlotte.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:27 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
the main advantage of Greenville over Rock Hill is it is closer to the mountains and has a small mountain a few minutes from downtown. there is also a lot less traffic in Greenville compared to the Charlotte metro.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britney516 View Post
We like smaller towns and more rural areas but I'm willing to work in the city where there are more jobs.
What do you do for work? Does Greenville, Rock Hill, and Fort Mill have a demand for jobs in that career field?

Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Greenville is a great area that stands on its own for various reasons. Rock Hill is basically a suburb of Charlotte. Were I young and looking for varied opportunities in career building, I would choose Rock Hill because of what Charlotte offers.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,173 times
Hi, my boyfriend and I are in our upper 20's with graduate degrees. We looked at Greenville due to the press it receives. However, we decided on the Fort Mill area due to a number of reasons:

First, there are soooo many people our age in Charlotte. There are so many young people downtown....just a few minutes away by car or train...yet, we have a little slower lifestyle in FM where we want to raise a family after we are married. The amount of growth in Charlotte in the millennial segment is staggering. Greenville seemed to attract an older crowd, I researched this and saw many stories about the aging of Greenville.

There are a lot more jobs, the difference here is very material. Greenville is tilted towards manufacturing. In FM alone, LPL just opened a major center. When you include Ballantyne, Southpark and downtown, the job difference is like night and day.

Activities.....it depends on what you like. We chose FM because it has a very large park, it is huge with lakes, horseback riding and will connect to Charlotte's greenway. We will be able to ride our bikes from FM to downtown Charlotte and beyond in a Couple of years, all on the greenway.

Vibe....Charlotte has a strong energy that ripples to FM. While not dead, Greenville seems to move at a slower pace....could be why retirees are moving there.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:51 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britney516 View Post
I'm looking to relocate from Northeast PA to SC. I've been debating between North Carolina and South Carolina but SC seems to stand out more. The two areas that I've been researching are Greenville and Rock Hill/Fort Mill. Just wanted to hear other's inputs and preferences on the area. I visited Greenville back in April and really liked it but want to explore options before settling on one.

A little about me: I just recently graduated from college and my husband and I want to venture out and move somewhere while we don't have any big obligations. We like smaller towns and more rural areas but I'm willing to work in the city where there are more jobs.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
You'll have to visit and form your own opinion really. There may be bias to one place or another because everyone is different. Rock Hill/Fort Mill are definitely suburbs of Charlotte as others have mentioned. Greenville stands on its own and is a much smaller metro than Charlotte. While that is the case I definitely wouldn't call Greenville dead. It's an up and coming, happening place. Some believe bigger is better, but I say not always. Depends on you. Good luck in your research.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 PM

most of the jobs in Charlotte metro are going to be in uptown, university area., not out in Fort Mill. Fort Mill is a bedroom community.

Charlotte is a bigger metro but it really is just duplication of the same chain restaurants and retail in the burbs. you get no advantage out of in living somehwere with 8 Best Buys vs 3 in another metro, for example. i think a majority of people probably prefer the atmosphere of downtown Greenville to uptown Charlotte which is more coporate with the tall office buildings.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
most of the jobs in Charlotte metro are going to be in uptown, university area., not out in Fort Mill. Fort Mill is a bedroom community.
Fort Mill doesn't have as many jobs as Uptown or University, but it is a jobs center in its own right; SC's only F500 headquarters is located there, along with other headquarters and office operations, including Lash Group, LPL Financial, Shutterfly, Citi, Broad River Furniture, Titanium Holdings, Muzak, etc. Some of SC's biggest economic developments in recent years have been in the Fort Mill area; it's certainly more than just a bedroom community these days.

Quote:
I think a majority of people probably prefer the atmosphere of downtown Greenville to uptown Charlotte which is more coporate with the tall office buildings.
Uptown Charlotte has more establishments and more nightlife venues, sports venues, more museums, more performing arts venues, rail transit, and tons of new mixed-use developments with retail and restaurants on the ground floor. Except for a waterfall in a park, Uptown Charlotte has everything that downtown Greenville has, plus more. So I don't know what your basis is for saying that most people would prefer downtown Greenville to Uptown Charlotte.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:36 PM

Greenville downtown has more than enough. the park and waterfall kind of hte difference maker. charlotte doesn't have a great downtown park

my point is Fort Mill isn't some big job place vs Greenville. Fortune 500 HQ doesn't mean anything, Greenville has a large GE facility with a lot o high paying jobs, but it is not a HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina