Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,291,968 times

Advertisements

Yay a destination! Maybe they'll get more Dollar Generals and subdivisions!

Oh well. Beaufort area is a gem. Or was. Because the low country is under the radar and not developed. Oh well, good things don't last long these days. Hunting Island will end up like Myrtle Beach or Hilton head. Just like they're doing to Jekyll. The low country was too good to last forever. At least it'll take ten or so years and we can enjoy for now. Carolina Knight I do appreciate your informative posts though. Are you in the real estate or development biz? You seem to be very plugged in to new grocery store developments in particular for example...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,495,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Yay a destination! Maybe they'll get more Dollar Generals and subdivisions!
The Port of Port Royal site is an opportunity for smart development. I would expect good retail and residential ideas to be included in a use plan.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 AM

I saw a study summarized a while back by a developer that retaining more green space in a residential subdivision actually yields more profit per acre (!!) because the additional value in each house outweighs the loss of space. I read this on a sign for a new subdivision actually. So in theory 'smart development' is also smart money. But developers often seem to not be smart at longterm thinking and making money past the next quarter. Probably why the economy is so cyclical and they never learn, as greed is an inherently short term thought process. Empty malls, then stripmall sprawl, but now malls are in again, etc..

The point of my rambling is that, as always, I think the low country is beautiful. This beauty, should it be preserved, through smart development, would serve people and economy well in to the future. If we are going to develop, then yes, smart mixed-use development would be optimal. If you show us a shopping center plan here preserving green space and with native tree islands and environmental engineering ingenuity I'll be a fan!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,495,195 times
If more green space is in the cards for Port of Port Royal, vertical development should be prioritized. Expansive surface development takes up more land and reduces green space.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If more green space is in the cards for Port of Port Royal, vertical development should be prioritized. Expansive surface development takes up more land and reduces green space.
Excellent point! Agree! Go for it.

Except for historic districts and certain beach or park areas i.e. Jekyll I am a big supporter for vertical development.

And... imagine the possibilities with rooftop restaurants or turf roofs. Although they may be unlikely that would be neat as well as smart planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina