Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

I have lived in South Carolina for my entire life - mostly in the Lexington, West Columbia, and Columbia areas.

My husband and I moved to Aiken, SC two years ago. Frankly I am a little disappointed. It is difficult to find non-cashier, non-restaurant crew opportunities that aren't in Augusta. Houses that are not in trashy areas or trailer parks generally have rent of $1,000 and up. We are NOT poor, but not wealthy, either.

I feel that Aiken is best for country club families with old money.

How do you feel about North Augusta and Augusta, in comparison to Aiken? Is it possible to rent a decent place in the $500-$700 range? What about job opportunities? Overall quality of life?

* YES, I realize that EVERY place has its ups and downs. I just wanted some opinions on the three cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
Guess we are just different. I left Aiken for Lexington and have regretted it since day 1. There's lots of middle class folks in Aiken. I grew up there and nobody in my family belongs to any country club. To be in a decent place anywhere now, you're going to be in that 1000 range.
North Augusta is a nice town. Nowhere near the amenities Aiken has, but much closer to Augusta. Again, a decent place is going to at least 800-900, anything less is going to be a much older home or less desirable neighborhood.
Augusta can be very hit and miss. I doubt you can find a house on the Westside or better areas of "in-town" for less than 1000. You can find it in east and south Augusta, but those areas are less desirable.
Maybe look at The Valley between Aiken and North Augusta. Only county taxes and some newer, very affordable houses.
For quality of life, I would go with Aiken over Augusta. Yes, there's more to do in Augusta but there are many issues in Augusta from the schools, to the government, to the not so upstanding citizens that reside there now. I know many of Aiken County's new residents are people trying to escape Augusta public schools but can't afford Columbia County taxes.
Good luck, hope it works out.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgal12 View Post
Frankly I am a little disappointed. It is difficult to find non-cashier, non-restaurant crew opportunities that aren't in Augusta.
I think you answered your own question.

More rental housing options in Augusta than in Aiken too.

Aiken is a wonderful place. I'm sorry you haven't found what you're looking for. But let's be sure we're setting our expectations appropriately.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
SCgal,
Where have you been living and working since you moved here?
Two years ago?
Yes, there are some decent homes especailly right now for rent in Aiken.
It depends on what you are expecting to rent though.
There are basically two classes of people in Aiken.
Poor and Rich.
Sorry.
Rich older people from the north, educated people that work at the SRS on temp
contracts, and hospital personnel.
Aiken is a wonderful place to live, but you have to be willing to drive quite a ways
to work.
There isn't much else, except retail that barely pays minimum wage.
So, if you can't find decent jobs, you will either have to drive, or move.
I wouldn't live in Augusta. I've been there 100 times, wouldn't live there.
Your best chance at work is in Augusta. Or Columbia.
My husband works in Columbia, he drives one hour and 20 mintues to work,
and one hour and 20 minutes home.
He is in accounting.
Can't find a job closer YET.
That's the way it is here.
Sorry you are disappointed, you will find something decent for what you want to
pay in rent, you just have to keep looking.
Try a realtor.
Nothing is selling down here, so mabey you can get a good deal renting.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
SCgal,
There are basically two classes of people in Aiken.
Poor and Rich.
True, if you judged Aiken by Woodside and Nicholson Village. Lets just forget Houndslake, Gem Lakes, Highland Park, Kalmia Hill, Millbrook, etc. where thousands of middle class people like myself grew up or live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina