Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,953,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Florence and sumter
That makes a bit more sense!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM

255 posts, read 611,680 times
I have always consider Sumter like a mini Columbia. Sumter has a great Air Force Base down there that serves as a positive boost in the economy.

I know that nov 22nd in Florence we are having Tamela Mann or Cora and David Mann aka Mr. Brown from Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns to visit our civic center for a concert.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,444,778 times
When the City purchased the Montegue Building on East Liberty Street.. I had hoped they would have worked with the County to potentially put a new "Civic Center" there and retire the Xhibition Center. With it being on Lafayette Blvd it would have easy access to most parts of the City and it would be very close to downtown Sumter. The City instead turned it into its public works complex.. which is a functional use.. but maybe not the best use. That being said.. do we really feel that Sumter could attract enough activity (like in Florence) to support a new Civic Center? I would like to think so give the population of the area and how it serves at the Center of its region. (Sumter, Lee, and Clarendon Counties). But the proximity to COlumbia and the fact that Florence has one already may make it problematic. It would likely have to be some form of joint facility associated with some other regular use.. like minor league basketball, hockey, indoor soccer or roller blade (Im reaching) to fill more calendar days when events are not taking place.... I dont know how many monster trucks or wrestling matches one facility can support....

Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto29556 View Post
I have always consider Sumter like a mini Columbia. Sumter has a great Air Force Base down there that serves as a positive boost in the economy.

I know that nov 22nd in Florence we are having Tamela Mann or Cora and David Mann aka Mr. Brown from Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns to visit our civic center for a concert.

This will likely be well attended given the national profile of the producer and Actors..and draw folks from the coast to the midlands.....

Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 PM

12,992 posts, read 9,712,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
When the City purchased the Montegue Building on East Liberty Street.. I had hoped they would have worked with the County to potentially put a new "Civic Center" there and retire the Xhibition Center. With it being on Lafayette Blvd it would have easy access to most parts of the City and it would be very close to downtown Sumter. The City instead turned it into its public works complex.. which is a functional use.. but maybe not the best use. That being said.. do we really feel that Sumter could attract enough activity (like in Florence) to support a new Civic Center? I would like to think so give the population of the area and how it serves at the Center of its region. (Sumter, Lee, and Clarendon Counties). But the proximity to COlumbia and the fact that Florence has one already may make it problematic. It would likely have to be some form of joint facility associated with some other regular use.. like minor league basketball, hockey, indoor soccer or roller blade (Im reaching) to fill more calendar days when events are not taking place.... I dont know how many monster trucks or wrestling matches one facility can support....
the public works complex is an eyesore in my opinion and I had hope the city replaced that space with offices or something else. I think it takes so much away from the east side of downtown . yes I believe sumter can support a civic type center if managed the right way. quality events would attract people from the surrounding area and even Columbia and would attract people from the air force and army. I would love to see joel osteen in sumter and other top tier ministers and speakers, I feel it will work. i don't think it would have to be downtown, that would be fine but the broad street area would be good also like near the walmart area or next to the new marriot springhill suites they are building out there.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
the public works complex is an eyesore in my opinion and I had hope the city replaced that space with offices or something else. I think it takes so much away from the east side of downtown . yes I believe sumter can support a civic type center if managed the right way. quality events would attract people from the surrounding area and even Columbia and would attract people from the air force and army. I would love to see joel osteen in sumter and other top tier ministers and speakers, I feel it will work. i don't think it would have to be downtown, that would be fine but the broad street area would be good also like near the walmart area or next to the new marriot springhill suites they are building out there.

The only reason why I suggested it go on the "east" side of town.. is because Sumter is increasingly sprawling towards the west and north west.. Downtown is literally on the eastern end of the City and the reason for the sprawl west has nothing really to do with geography (i.e. a River, Mountain, etc) its been mostly developer driven (because of Shaw and extensions of more desirable neighborhoods)...which is fine..It would just be equally beneficial to the City if they grew in that direction as well..I have heard several reasons why it hasnt happened other the developer/ politics is because of other issues such as school district lines and lack of infrastructure (water sewer)

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-18-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,147,085 times
I don't think a new civic center would be a good spend for the taxpayer in Sumter. For what it is used for, the Exhibition Center serves it's purpose. Sumter needs another 15 to 20 thousand more residents to make a new civic center reasonable. For now, I'm fine with it hosting SCISA sports tournaments, graduations, indoor yard sales, church functions, various trade shows and business expos and an occasional second tier performer. Sumter is a long way from attracting anything else, regardless of what kind of facilities we have to offer. So why spend the money on it now. Keep pumping that money into the downtown street scape improvements and get the sidewalks paved and keep putting the utilities underground so we don't have to look at unsightly utility poles downtown. Also, keep spending the money on our sports facilities. We are hosting more and more Tennis, Soccer and Baseball tourneys because of the new facilities and the improved existing facilities.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I don't think a new civic center would be a good spend for the taxpayer in Sumter. For what it is used for, the Exhibition Center serves it's purpose. Sumter needs another 15 to 20 thousand more residents to make a new civic center reasonable. For now, I'm fine with it hosting SCISA sports tournaments, graduations, indoor yard sales, church functions, various trade shows and business expos and an occasional second tier performer. Sumter is a long way from attracting anything else, regardless of what kind of facilities we have to offer. So why spend the money on it now. Keep pumping that money into the downtown street scape improvements and get the sidewalks paved and keep putting the utilities underground so we don't have to look at unsightly utility poles downtown. Also, keep spending the money on our sports facilities. We are hosting more and more Tennis, Soccer and Baseball tourneys because of the new facilities and the improved existing facilities.
it would be an investment into the future and cheaper now than it would be later. no, its not a priority but I do think it could work. we live in very mobile society these days and people are always on the go and people don't mind the short drive for a quality show. with that said , its only wishful thinking on my part, I don't see that happening anytime soon if ever. also, I'm sure something like that would be put to a referendum anyway.

----------

Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 PM

Does Florence have anything like the fantasy of lights like at swan lake gardens in sumter. the lights are really beautiful as well as the main and liberty streets downtown.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM

154 posts, read 244,765 times
Quote:
Does Florence have anything like the fantasy of lights like at swan lake gardens in sumter. the lights are really beautiful as well as the main and liberty streets downtown.
Not sure about that but a lot of the houses around Timrod Park used to have christmas lights on them. my parents used to drive around when my brothers were kids to look at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina