Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM

23 posts, read 85,278 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to SC. I received a job offer in Florence SC, and my husband will be working in North Charleston SC. I know some people may think we are crazy-- to accept these offers because of the mileage roughly 90-120 miles in between- however we can not pass this up. So we need some good sound advice and help in reference to finding a city somewhere inbetween to live. Schools are very important, I prefer Charleston residing closer to Charleston, and after alot of research Charleston is preferred by many. I have a 16 yr old 10th grader, and a 13 yr old 7th grader. So schools, friends and activities are very important to them and us as parents. Also to be politically correct, I do want to state this respectively; that we are used to living in a very diverse area with all types of ethnicities, but being a caucasion family, I am having a very difficult time researching a place to live between the two cities. My husband currently commutes 1 1/2 hrs to work from Tampa to Orlando, and my commute time is 30-40 minutes. So the husband is used to driving 75 miles to work... so this is not a big issue for us, except finding a city, a well respected city to relocate with good schools, activities etc... How far North of North Charleston would you go, or lets reverse, how far south of Florence would you live? I know Summerville, Mt Pleasant are some very good places, however not realistic for one of us to commute. And I hear only West Florence is the best area to live around Florence for schools, etc... Please help???

Last edited by tlc925; 07-29-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
There aren't really any "cities" just towns and really small towns. You could look at Monks Corner which would be about a 40 min drive for your husband, and 1.5 hours for you. There isn't a lot going on there either and no good restaurants. Half way between the two is really nothing. You are in the middle of nowhere and too close to Sumter for my comfort level. I've heard good things about St, George for small town living. If both of you are used to city life than I'd want to choose at least a decent sized town with amenities. Georgetown, SC might be a good compromise as by itself with the exception of the paper mill it is a pretty and quaint southern town with lots of charm and historic homes. It is very walkable and the downtown area by the wharfs is really nice with various restaurants and shops. You also are only an hour to Mt Pleasant and an hour to Myrtle Beach. Pawley's Island and the gorgeous beach and good schools there is close by. The commute from Florence would be about 1,75 hours and and the commute from N.Charleston would be a little under 1.5 hours. It is a little longer commute than you were hoping for but there is a LOT more to do when you get home. Choosing Andrews 45 mins west of Georgetown would make it a shorter commute for both of you but you'd have to traverse long distances to get to a decent sized grocery store and just do basic every day tasks.

http://www.hammockcoastsc.com/

http://www.cityofgeorgetownsc.com/

http://www.townofandrews.org/

http://townofmonckscorner.sc.gov/

Last edited by emilybh; 07-30-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 PM

wow thanks for the great information! Yes- you just confirmed that finding a mid point between Florence and Charleston is going to be difficult. Pawleys Island sparks an interest, as does Georgetown. The schools have very high ratings in Pawleys Island. How are the schools in GeorgeTown? Also does anyone have any information on Conway/Vacinity? would this be a contender, with good schools- similar commute time to our lifestyle now- or is Conway in the middle of country with very little to do? We like the conveniences of shopping, movies,water (beaches) within a short distance from our house, since we would be commuting long distances to and from work- we want everything at our fingertips once we settle in, in the evening and on weekends. Also, we would be renting can anyone provide good neighborhoods or communities in a good school district- in Georgetown, Pawleys Island and/ or Conway. (if Conway is considered a contender)..I've read about Caroliona Forest What are your suggestions?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
If I were you, I would rethink your situation or, at least, do a "test drive" from Pawley's Island and/or Georgetown to your respective work locations. Are both you and your husband seriously OK with a 1.5 to 2 hour commute each way? And, consider this: wouldn't it make sense for one or both of you to be kind of close to where your kids are during the day (in case of emergencies, etc.)?

Also, keep in mind that Georgetown and Pawley's, while nice areas, are still small towns, and definitely don't have what you're used to in the way of amenities (shopping/restaurants/movies, etc.).

You may just have to stake your ground in the Charleston area (it sounds like it would definitely be a better fit for your family than Florence) and look for another job there.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc925 View Post
We are relocating to SC. I received a job offer in Florence SC, and my husband will be working in North Charleston SC. I know some people may think we are crazy-- to accept these offers because of the mileage roughly 90-120 miles in between- however we can not pass this up.

So we need some good sound advice and help in reference to finding a city somewhere inbetween to live. Schools are very important, I prefer Charleston residing closer to Charleston, and after alot of research Charleston is preferred by many. I have a 16 yr old 10th grader, and a 13 yr old 7th grader. So schools, friends and activities are very important to them and us as parents.

Also to be politically correct, I do want to state this respectively; that we are used to living in a very diverse area with all types of ethnicities, but being a caucasion family, I am having a very difficult time researching a place to live between the two cities. My husband currently commutes 1 1/2 hrs to work from Tampa to Orlando, and my commute time is 30-40 minutes. So the husband is used to driving 75 miles to work... so this is not a big issue for us, except finding a city, a well respected city to relocate with good schools, activities etc... How far North of North Charleston would you go, or lets reverse, how far south of Florence would you live? I know Summerville, Mt Pleasant are some very good places, however not realistic for one of us to commute. And I hear only West Florence is the best area to live around Florence for schools, etc... Please help???
IMO you are headed up the creek without a paddle. The area between Florence and Charleston is no man's land. There are no good options, other than Charleston, and Florence. The places that come to mind are all depressed economically and have major social problems -- Greeleyville, Manning, Lake City, Andrews, Eutawville, Holly Hill, etc.

Maybe Georgetown County, like around Pawleys Island, would suit your family best... but that's a long, long drive every day. I like McLellanville, but it wouldn't suit most people I dont think, and I don't know how the schools are. Maybe check out Moncks Corner, as well... particularly the Pinopolis area. I'm really grasping for straws, though, to be honest.

One concern to me would be the danger in driving on 2-lane south carolina roads, 2 hours each way, every single day. That is an area with high levels of road fatalities.

Last edited by le roi; 08-05-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
This is a tough one. If you took the Florence job out of the equation and were just asking for area with good schools close to your husbands job in North Charleston - the answer would be Summerville, which has some of the best schools in the state. As has been stated there really are not any sort of desirable places for a transplanted family concerned about schools directly between Florence and Charleston.

You could go the route of moving to Georgetown/Pawleys but that is still a drive for each of you.
Also something to consider if you did do that - I saw someone say this on another forum - that if both parents are commuting a far distance to work, what happens if there is some sort of emergency at school? I guess this is an issue that some families deal with, but it could be a challenging one.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the great opinions.. I agree, take Florence out fo the equation- and Summerville is MY pick!! you hit the nail on the head..all the conerns you are sharing, trust me we have the same conerns as well. I have recieved feed back about Moncks Corner/ GooseCreek/Summerville.. of course still 1.5 hrs from Florence...........closer to North Charleston area. But I'v been told it's doable........we are still trying to avoid Florence area....I guess we'll see what happens. I still welcome all opionions good or bad-- however- I would just like them to be respectful. there are good and bad everywhere you live. I'm originally from NY, and have lived in FL or the last 5 years.. So change is not an issue- and dealing with NY & FL- a commute shorter than 40 minutes would be like hitting the lotto! lol. We are fully aware of the commute and distance. But sometimes we just need to deal with it.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
Forgot to mention - if you do wind up towards Florence, you are right in that West Florence are the schools you would want to be in. Those are considered the best public schools in that area.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Default OK-- What are your real thoughts about West Florence?

OK What are your real thoughts about West Florence? If my husband does not take the Charleston Job- we do not need to live between Florence and Charleston. Giving up relocation- however--- not worth the hassel or commute time. I will be making enough money to hold the fort- so if I work in Florence, I hear West florence is the best choice. Zip Code 29501? West Florence High School, Sneed Middle School. Can anyone advise comments, opionions... This is happening- we will be in Florence This weekend- and would like to look at housing in West Florence. Any agents available to show us some rentals in West Florence on Sunday 8/14/11????? I've found only a few homes, but if an agent can pull MLS or if anyone has leads.. let me know...So we can meet and do some walk throughs (Rentals)

I've researched forest lake- looks beautiful! we are looking to rent a large home 4 bedrooms, 2+ baths. Pets ok. Non Smokers. Highest rent $1200-1500. Give or take.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 PM

255 posts, read 610,291 times
Do not forget to add Kingstree, SC onto your list. You could get a great size piece of property in Williamsburg County since it is actually between Florence and Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina