Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 AM

102 posts, read 423,508 times

Advertisements

What do you think? I personally love both countries and think they'd be great hosts. Portugal did a great job for the Euro 04, and Spain is full of world class stadiums already. Location and language are also big draws.
I've read on some Spanish message boards that some Spaniards aren't happy with sharing, that Spain is big enough to host it on their own.
Combined, the 2 countries have roughly 55 million people, less than France, Germany, UK, etc...
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
I have always wanted to visit both countries so I am all for either or both hosting as it will give me an excuse to go.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,340,738 times
I have always wanted to visit iberia for the food too

but they should share it as they are not big

kinda like korea and japan split it once

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,653,158 times
This is terrifying, we're talking about a tournament which will take place when I'm 27!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I have always wanted to visit iberia for the food too

but they should share it as they are not big

kinda like korea and japan split it once
Spain is very big in European terms (second largest country in Western Europe after France) but to be honest size isn't that important, it's the stadiums that count. Spain has an abundance of top notch stadiums so I think they'd be great hosts but if they were to split it with Portugal it wouldn't be a bad thing though because they've got a few good ones themselves too.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM

In response to the Spanish fans complaining about sharing with Portugal, consider that South Korea alone is larger than Spain in regards to population, and they ended up sharing with Japan, which has over 120 million people (ie: HUGE). Besides, Spain and Portugal are so close that driving from Lisbon to Barcelona in a day isn't unreasonable. Try and do that from Japan to Korea!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,653,158 times
After thinking about it, one concern I do have is with regard to racism. Black footballers have often been subjected to racist abuse by fans in Spain (monkey chants, blacked up faces, that sort of thing) so that wouldn't bode well for an international competition. If they really do want the World Cup then the Spanish Football Federation is going to have to guarantee that that sort of thing is going to be clamped down on big time.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM

According to reports, they have agreed to do a joint bid.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
After thinking about it, one concern I do have is with regard to racism. Black footballers have often been subjected to racist abuse by fans in Spain (monkey chants, blacked up faces, that sort of thing) so that wouldn't bode well for an international competition. If they really do want the World Cup then the Spanish Football Federation is going to have to guarantee that that sort of thing is going to be clamped down on big time.
I was in the Bernabeu in '04 when this issue blew up. As an American living in Spain at the time, it floored me that this was acceptable. It certainly wasn't the whole crowd, but it was a vocal minority that made their presence known. Also, I recall bananas being thrown towards Kameni (Espanyol goalkeeper) and Eto'o nearly marching off the field during a match because of chants from the stands...
It is an ugly occurance that is not reflective of the majority of Spaniards I met, much less the Portuguese I know. Both countries do not have the history of African immigration that France and England do, thus this generation is just now coming of age and dealing with issues heretofore untouched. I believe, however, that an Iberian World Cup in 2018 would be a great event and hardly affected by these occurances. There will always be ethnic rivalries (a la Serbian/Bosnian arrests in Australia this year), but wide spread occurances of the sort will not be tolerated.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,360,663 times
Spain still does not recognize that such behavior is deplorable. They just barely punished Aragonés for calling Henry a "black piece of ****" and that was because other nations called on them to do so. Then the basketball team took a picture with them pulling their eyelids to look Asian. Again, who reacted to the image first: the Spanish or the rest of us?

They're a very insular nation. France has racial tensions but only because they have so many immigrants, so many are informed and sensitive to these issues. Spain looks on other cultures from the outside. They're more akin to Eastern European nations like Poland in such regard. It reminds me a lot of my friend's hometown deep in the Sierra Nevada. It's a bunch of people of one ethnicity who freely voice ignorant opinions on many races even though they know only one.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM

The US is planning on bidding for 2018 and 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer