Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 09:23 AM

14,877 posts, read 12,243,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
England are highly over rated. There are some good individual players, but do not work as a team, and as you say appear to lack energy. Currently losing 1-0 to Slovakia as I post.

Edit- out of the jaws of defeat, now 2-1 up and still playing in extra time.
The English have the Spanish league player of the year, the English league player of the year, The German league player of the year, the German leagues top goal scorer, the European young player of the year, the English leagues young player of the year (among others), so in what way are they 'over rated'? We all know they could be doing better (however they are in the last 8 of European nations, a position the Italians or Belgians would have loved to have been in) but lack of talent is obviously NOT the issue!

As for the Slovak's that the English narrowly beat they had already beaten Belgium and their 'golden generation' whereas Portugal (one of the favourites to win the whole bloody thing) also failed to beat Slovenia after 120 minutes of football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2024, 09:52 AM

27,901 posts, read 14,099,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Bellingham and Kane finally showed up. What an excruciating loss for Slovakia!
The entire nation has been screaming for Palmer and Gordon to start for England however clueless Southgate doesn't seem to be able to take this on board, and he also consistently plays key players out of position.

They were lucky in the dying minutes against Slovakia, but Southgate needs to make significant changes in relation to the Switzerland game, and needs to actually listen to the fans.

Old 07-05-2024, 01:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 939,636 times
For the first time ever I saw a Spanish player get a red card in a major tournament. Looks like a calculated move though.

Old 07-06-2024, 04:30 PM

Over the moon England won, however I am still confused as to Gareth Southgate and his tactics.

For instance Kieran Trippier is a right-back and not a left back, whilst there is no starting left winger despite the fact there are several left wingers in the squad including the likes of Gordon and Eze, the latter two being brought on later in the game, and making a significant impact.

As for a left back, Luke Shaw who replaced Trippier later in the game is a left back, and should have been plating left back from the start of the game.

As for Anthony Gordon, it seems everyone rates him but Southgate, and he's the subject of a rumoured £100 million bid from Liverpool, although whether Newcastle a club that can now easily match Liverpool in terms if finances will let him go is subject to debate,

I was also pleased to see Cole Palmer brought on, but again question why he wasn't included from the start, and I can't help thinking that Palmer would be a better choice than Mainoo, although in Rice and Bellingham are extreme,y effective in Midfield.

I have never been fully convinced by the often boring and cautious approach adopted by Southgate, and have in the past felt utter frustration, and I also don't understand why the likes of Jack Grealish are not even included in the England squad.

I am however in spite of my obvious frustrations delighted that England won and wish England and indeed Southgate all the best, but would like to see some tactical changes.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-06-2024 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-07-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Over the moon England won, however I am still confused as to Gareth Southgate and his tactics.

For instance Kieran Trippier is a right-back and not a left back, whilst there is no starting left winger despite the fact there are several left wingers in the squad including the likes of Gordon and Eze, the latter two being brought on later in the game, and making a significant impact.

As for a left back, Luke Shaw who replaced Trippier later in the game is a left back, and should have been plating left back from the start of the game.

As for Anthony Gordon, it seems everyone rates him but Southgate, and he's the subject of a rumoured £100 million bid from Liverpool, although whether Newcastle a club that can now easily match Liverpool in terms if finances will let him go is subject to debate,

I was also pleased to see Cole Palmer brought on, but again question why he wasn't included from the start, and I can't help thinking that Palmer would be a better choice than Mainoo, although in Rice and Bellingham are extreme,y effective in Midfield.

I have never been fully convinced by the often boring and cautious approach adopted by Southgate, and have in the past felt utter frustration, and I also don't understand why the likes of Jack Grealish are not even included in the England squad.

I am however in spite of my obvious frustrations delighted that England won and wish England and indeed Southgate all the best, but would like to see some tactical changes.
If England again make it to the Euro final it will be despite Gareth Southgate rather than thanks to Gareth Southgate. I think he's done a lot for the national team outside of the coaching side of things but when it comes to that he falls woefully short, I can only hope that the FA FINALLY choose a decent manager to take us forward because with a half decent guy in charge we should be challenging for a while. Of course this has been said for a while now!

Why is it when we have the opportunity of hiring the right man (Clough) or had the right man in charge (Venables) things suddenly go pear shaped!

Old 07-08-2024, 09:16 AM

4,398 posts, read 1,633,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If England again make it to the Euro final it will be despite Gareth Southgate rather than thanks to Gareth Southgate.
I don't agree. I remember when we last brought in a "proper coach", a proven winner; Fabio Capello was his name and the football under him with an arguably better side was sometimes worse and we failed at two international tournaments.

Now, to be clear, I don't think Southgate is tactically the best coach out there but what he does do is create a better environment for those players. This will be his 3rd semi final as manager, I don't think it's a coincidence. The exact same can be said for Deschamps with France, astounding squad, but they play atrocious football, but they win things.

Having said all that, win or lose this championship, I think he'll leave the job at the end.

Old 07-08-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I don't agree. I remember when we last brought in a "proper coach", a proven winner; Fabio Capello was his name and the football under him with an arguably better side was sometimes worse and we failed at two international tournaments.

Now, to be clear, I don't think Southgate is tactically the best coach out there but what he does do is create a better environment for those players. This will be his 3rd semi final as manager, I don't think it's a coincidence. The exact same can be said for Deschamps with France, astounding squad, but they play atrocious football, but they win things.

Having said all that, win or lose this championship, I think he'll leave the job at the end.
Fabio Capello was a terrible international coach, he played the way Italian club teams played in the 80's/90's, international football is very different from domestic football and also 'tactics' evolve - that's why somebody like Mourinhio who was unbeatable 20 years ago doesn't have the same success now. The only half decent managers we've had in my lifetime are Robson and Venables, unfortunately El Tel was a bit of a wide boy which certainly didnt suit the suits!

I think Capello's record after 2006 is pretty telling and as for Gareth himself.........well his only previous senior post was when he got Middlesbrough relegated! How did he get the job based on that?

I'm not all about 'hate' when it comes to Gareth, there are areas that he has improved MASSIVELY things like the organisation and preparations for the national team, he has brought in a professionalism at international level that was perhaps missing before him (the meticulous work done with regard to penalties for example) the atmosphere in the camps has been fantastic, he is extremely dedicated and hard working.........he is also a reasonable and friendly amiable guy, unfortunately I just don't think he has the coaching capabilities or the high level of in game management that other coaches have.

Last edited by easthome; 07-08-2024 at 10:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2024, 12:00 PM

4,398 posts, read 1,633,989 times
Quote:
The only half decent managers we've had in my lifetime are Robson and Venables, unfortunately El Tel was a bit of a wide boy which certainly didnt suit the suits!
The FA do tend to go for a company man, that's true. I would say actually if you look at Robson's record, it's not great. Euro 88 was an absolute disaster, lost to Ireland, Netherlands and the Soviets and then somehow in 1990 we reached a semi-final playing football not dissimilar to Southgate, two draws and a win in the group stage and beat both Belgium and Cameroon in extra time before the exit to West Germany.

I think Robson is looked back upon with rose-tinted spectacles because of his achievement of reaching a semi-final. I think Southgate will have the same type of hind sighted revival in a few years time. Obviously Southgate got the gig from being U21 manager, does that mean Carsley is next?!

I'd throw in Hoddle as a decent manager, certainly tactics wise, he was the most fluid, just don't ask him his views on the disabled or faith healers.

Old 07-08-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If England again make it to the Euro final it will be despite Gareth Southgate rather than thanks to Gareth Southgate. I think he's done a lot for the national team outside of the coaching side of things but when it comes to that he falls woefully short, I can only hope that the FA FINALLY choose a decent manager to take us forward because with a half decent guy in charge we should be challenging for a while. Of course this has been said for a while now!

Why is it when we have the opportunity of hiring the right man (Clough) or had the right man in charge (Venables) things suddenly go pear shaped!

Totally Agree easthome.

I think Newcastle and former Bournemouth Manager Eddie Howe would be fairly near to the top of the FA's list of future England Managers, however whether he would want the job at this stage of his career and given the money he is currently earning is the real question.

As for Southgate, his tenure can be summed up by just two words and they are cautious and boring, whilst his tactics are extremely questionable in terms of starting games without a left winger despite Anthony Gordon being on the bench, whilst putting players in positions that they don't normally play in, is also contentious among England fans.

I do however wish England and Southgate all the best on Wednesday, and would love to see us win something, although in my heart I think it's unlikely, but I suppose stranger things have happened, and if nothing else it's a reason to have a drink.

Old 07-09-2024, 12:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 939,636 times
I wonder if this will set up a rematch from 2010 World Cup final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer