Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 AM

743 posts, read 2,079,283 times

Advertisements

I have no idea since I haven't been paying attention to the qualifiers. Germany haven't performed well in the last two Euros, so I'm skeptical of them winning. (I did root for them in Germany '06, but knew they would fall to Italy in the semi's.) Did not get to see any Euro '04 matches, so I'm hoping to catch a few games this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,660,730 times
I hope Sweden wins, but I know we won't. But it's ok...

According to a recent economy -study, the Scandinavian countries would gain the most (economy-wise) if Germany wins. Winning the Euro would increase the winning country's BNP with approximately 0,7 , and the surrounding countries' (though not as much). Therefore, I hope Germany wins.

I have two thoughts on the Euro 2008:
1. It's funny that it starts today, since our national holiday was yesterday. I have never seen that many people celebrate the national holiday before - soccer is appearantly the only thing that can make Swedes patriotic.
2. I don't like that the games take up space on TV. Many of my favourite shows have been cancelled until it's over

Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,105,579 times
Well boys and girls, two games down, and I gotta tell you, Portugal looked pretty good. They got great star players, a great coach and they are masters at diving and acting. I see them making it far. Did anyone else watch the games? Any thoughts?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:30 PM

854 posts, read 2,875,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgirl View Post
Well, I'm German...so Germany all the way!!!
same here

ES GIBT NUR EIN' JOGI LOEW, EIN' JOGI LOOOOEEEEEW, ES GIBT NUR EIN' JOGI LOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Group A first leg matches

The Portugal-Turkey match was way more fun and dynamic than the borefest of Czech-Switzerland. Lots of exciting moments and the teams (especially Portugal) made effort to challenge each other. Czech and Swiss were like walking their dogs. Energy level was almost zero. Even the goal scored was like meh.

On a side note, I thought it was cool that a professional singer led in the singing of the national anthem. Were they from respective team countries?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 PM

715 posts, read 1,676,764 times
Having only been following soccer closely since 2006, how prestigious is the Euro? Is it right behind the World Cup for the teams involved?

I know that English fans were really upset when England didn't qualify, so I'm thinking it's a huge deal over there.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Having only been following soccer closely since 2006, how prestigious is the Euro? Is it right behind the World Cup for the teams involved?

I know that English fans were really upset when England didn't qualify, so I'm thinking it's a huge deal over there.
I'd say European Championship is 2nd best Soccer event behind the World Cup. I still can't believe England didn't qualify, that's like March Madness without UNC or Duke or IU or UCLA or...... Well, you get the picture, it's crazy talk !! I"m looking forward to Germany vs. Poland game tomorrow, good old fashioned nasty rivalry game with a little extra flavor in the press!! Should be fun to watch and perhaps a little bloody!!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM

8,835 posts, read 10,345,483 times
i'm currently watching the Germany-Poland game. Both teams have had some good chances in the 1st.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
i'm currently watching the Germany-Poland game. Both teams have had some good chances in the 1st.
Germany is moving the ball very well. Their passing in the midfield is very impressive, alot of 1 touch, 2 touch passing.... 2nd half should be a fight.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Group B 1st leg matches

So both co-hosts lost their opening games. Does not bode well. Austria may get a pass from Germany (I hear both countries are very chummy with each other), get over Poland and advance. Switzerland will have a hard fight against Portugal. So it may come down to how much they can beat Turkey.

Pretty decent matches today. Shouldn't have been a penalty, but it help woke up the Austrians. I think Croatia have the control throughout the match, seeing how Austria tried and didn't succeed in breaking through.

Germany is thus far the offense team. They had a field day with Poland's defense. Could have been at least 3-0 if they keep pushing forward. They are capable of playing better than they are showing. Poland didn't look like a strong team, let alone a strong defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer