Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 08:07 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I do not know about USA but in Europe many countries give citizenships to players that have nothing in common with them except for playing in the particular country's league for one or two years. They do it even though they don't even know the language of the country. They do it even though average person would not have a chance for citizenship after such short time and without knowing the language of that country. Examples Roger Guerreiro and Emanuel Olisadebe for Poland. And brazilians who played for Russia, Croatia.
If someone is born abroad but has parents from different country, then I think it is okay for them to play for parent's country but giving citizenships to people that only play in domestic league for year or two is ridiculous. Countries are not clubs.
While I certainly can not speak for all players, the two you mention for Poland qualified for Polish citizenship the same way anyone would do so. In the US, if a person from a south american country wants to become a polish citizen there are difficult rule sin place, literal quotas, and job skills needed. It is the same for Poland. That he has a job skill that the average person does not have makes him no different than an actor, model, or physicist, all of whom never have any trouble emigrating. Its poor uneducated farmers and unskilled laborers that have difficulty emigrating. Why should it be any different for soccer. Individuals all have the right to do what is best for them. The nationalism shown in this threat is disgusting to me. We are all citizens of this planet, we all can move as we want. The rules for playing for a country are set by that country and by FIFA. they are fair for all. Anything else is just trying to hurt players or enforce some doctrine that is antiquated and isolationist. We live in a multi-cultural world. Football has adapted, but some people resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 08:58 AM

536 posts, read 323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
While I certainly can not speak for all players, the two you mention for Poland qualified for Polish citizenship the same way anyone would do so. In the US, if a person from a south american country wants to become a polish citizen there are difficult rule sin place, literal quotas, and job skills needed. It is the same for Poland. That he has a job skill that the average person does not have makes him no different than an actor, model, or physicist, all of whom never have any trouble emigrating. Its poor uneducated farmers and unskilled laborers that have difficulty emigrating. Why should it be any different for soccer. Individuals all have the right to do what is best for them. The nationalism shown in this threat is disgusting to me. We are all citizens of this planet, we all can move as we want. The rules for playing for a country are set by that country and by FIFA. they are fair for all. Anything else is just trying to hurt players or enforce some doctrine that is antiquated and isolationist. We live in a multi-cultural world. Football has adapted, but some people resist.
They were not treated like any other immigrant. President used his special right to grant them citizenships. They would have to have polish ancestry in order to get citizenship after just one year of living.

If countries start to grant citizenships just because someone plays in their league for one or two years, then there is no point in having national tournaments, because national teams would just become clubs. It is not nationalism, if someone from is born in country to immigrants he can choose where to play and it is fine. But if someone has no other connection to the country than playing in this country's domestic league then national teams are not longer national but international which is the same as clubs.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
They were not treated like any other immigrant. President used his special right to grant them citizenships. They would have to have polish ancestry in order to get citizenship after just one year of living.

If countries start to grant citizenships just because someone plays in their league for one or two years, then there is no point in having national tournaments, because national teams would just become clubs. It is not nationalism, if someone from is born in country to immigrants he can choose where to play and it is fine. But if someone has no other connection to the country than playing in this country's domestic league then national teams are not longer national but international which is the same as clubs.
I disagree entirely. If a person can become a citizen based on a skill set, it is up to that country to decide whether the person can be a citizen. Skilled or famous people are able to do this easily because their skill set cannot be duplicated. You do not get to treat them differently because they are footballer instead of a director or model.

In poland, the law allows Polish citizenship to be granted by the President of the Republic of Poland to any foreigner, regardless of how long they have been in Poland. They do not even have to play or live in Poland at all. It is the law in that country. I'm sorry that you do not like it, but I think it is fantastic. I disagree that it changes things. There are not millions of soccer players emigrating to Poland or any other country. the athlete must apply and the President in his duly elected position makes a decision. the President can say no whenever he wants. But once a person is a citizen, that is it, they can can play for their country. That countries like the US favor immigration for eastern european engineers over south american farmers is likewise annoying to me, but it is the law. If Poland wants to favor soccer players, so be it. At the tend of the day, it helps the soccer player, which is all I care about. Good players playing soccer is what should drive tournaments.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:23 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
That much is obvious.
Then explain it. I'm not American if you think that.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Then explain it. I'm not American if you think that.
Reading is fundamental.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:26 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Reading is fundamental.
I did and it still doesn't make sense.

"Say I'm an American without saying I'm an American."
"Play a little in South America and Europe, it really does not limit you in any way whatsoever."

What is that supposed to mean?

Old 12-01-2022, 10:42 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times
Quote:
I disagree entirely. If a person can become a citizen based on a skill set, it is up to that country to decide whether the person can be a citizen. Skilled or famous people are able to do this easily because their skill set cannot be duplicated. You do not get to treat them differently because they are footballer instead of a director or model.

In poland, the law allows Polish citizenship to be granted by the President of the Republic of Poland to any foreigner, regardless of how long they have been in Poland. They do not even have to play or live in Poland at all. It is the law in that country. I'm sorry that you do not like it, but I think it is fantastic. I disagree that it changes things. There are not millions of soccer players emigrating to Poland or any other country. the athlete must apply and the President in his duly elected position makes a decision. the President can say no whenever he wants. But once a person is a citizen, that is it, they can can play for their country. That countries like the US favor immigration for eastern european engineers over south american farmers is likewise annoying to me, but it is the law. If Poland wants to favor soccer players, so be it. At the tend of the day, it helps the soccer player, which is all I care about. Good players playing soccer is what should drive tournaments.
The point is that the footballers don't want really immigrate and live in Poland or eselwhere, it is just money!

They receive one amount of money to become citzen of the country and a good salary for play for its national team! So they get salaries from their clubs and ''national teams''.

I have a footballer friend who give up his brazilian citzenship for become chinese only for money... most times it is not only for play in the national teams, but because the countries national clubs league limit the numbers of foreigners playing for their clubs.

This year we have known the case of many brazilian footballers that become russian and ukranian citzen desesperated because they have been called to fight in the war. May be now they will think that getting a citzenship is much more than business, it comes together rights and obligations.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:20 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think the rule should be...

-Born in country + 1 year of living
or
-Speaks language and understands culture, Not born in country but lived in country for at least 10 years (6 years if one parent was born there, only 3 years if both parents were born there)

I wish companies had these requirements for their customer service reps, especially the latter requirement.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
The point is that the footballers don't want really immigrate and live in Poland or eselwhere, it is just money!

They receive one amount of money to become citzen of the country and a good salary for play for its national team! So they get salaries from their clubs and ''national teams''.

I have a footballer friend who give up his brazilian citzenship for become chinese only for money... most times it is not only for play in the national teams, but because the countries national clubs league limit the numbers of foreigners playing for their clubs.

This year we have known the case of many brazilian footballers that become russian and ukranian citzen desesperated because they have been called to fight in the war. May be now they will think that getting a citzenship is much more than business, it comes together rights and obligations.
No, it is to play football at the highest stage and perform the best that you can. Players should get money from whomever they can legally play for. We clearly disagree that what is happening is good or bad. I LOVE it, you are the opposite. good day.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:57 PM

335 posts, read 181,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I wish companies had these requirements for their customer service reps, especially the latter requirement.
That's right! and doctors and scientists...er, wait, not doctors and scientists...census takers though, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer