Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,487,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree. There are too many teams, and MLS is trying to expand too fast. They need to give it time to grow in popularity.
Ive been saying that for years! The player pool in America isnt that good, and they keep dividing it by adding more and more teams. The answer is to import some pure garbage players. MLS is a pure money grab at this stage, they just want someone to pay a few hundred million to joint the league over improving the quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM

280 posts, read 252,990 times
As cities start pushing back on athletic clubs (see San Diego) you are going to see a consolidation of fields/stadiums. There is no way to make a stadium financially viable without a higher utilization rate.

I grew up watching american football and baseball played in the same stadium. I never thought there was an issue with the experience. I have never been to a purely soccer stadium but cant imagine that it would make that big of a difference.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 PM

17,840 posts, read 16,038,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
As cities start pushing back on athletic clubs (see San Diego) you are going to see a consolidation of fields/stadiums. There is no way to make a stadium financially viable without a higher utilization rate.

I grew up watching american football and baseball played in the same stadium. I never thought there was an issue with the experience. I have never been to a purely soccer stadium but cant imagine that it would make that big of a difference.
I agree... prior to our new stadium coming to over here, OCSC played at the Citrus Bowl, which is largely a college football stadium. There were never any issues. You couldn't particularly tell that it wasn't built exclusively for soccer. While our new stadium is amazing, I think it was utterly unnecessary.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM

14,238 posts, read 15,313,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ive been saying that for years! The player pool in America isnt that good, and they keep dividing it by adding more and more teams. The answer is to import some pure garbage players. MLS is a pure money grab at this stage, they just want someone to pay a few hundred million to joint the league over improving the quality.
Yes a business is a money grab, what do you think ManU does? They develop soccer players not to help the game but to help them win.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,487,859 times
How does developing players to win not help them ? Developing players to help them win, is helping the game.
MLS doesnt do that, youth development is terrible in the US and like I said, all MLS wants is for a team to pay a few hundred million to join a league and the quality suffers.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM

167 posts, read 127,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
How does developing players to win not help them ? Developing players to help them win, is helping the game.
MLS doesnt do that, youth development is terrible in the US and like I said, all MLS wants is for a team to pay a few hundred million to join a league and the quality suffers.
Youth soccer development has always been terrible in the US. It's dominated by underqualified coaches and small youth clubs who prioritize grabbing money from suburban kids over searching for and developing talent. That's not MLS fault.

I like what MLS is doing with academies. Many now have cheap or even free academies that search and develop best talent in the region. Ideally, every decent sized city should have that. Some MLS clubs have invested / are investing 10s of millions into youth setup. That wouldn't happen in those cities without MLS clubs, and it doesn't make much financial sense for them right now, it's a long term strategy.

Youth soccer development is one of the best arguments I can see for MLS expansion.

To the guy on the previous page who said that some MLS clubs don't have good fanbases -- true, and especially the old clubs. You should've seen MLS 10 years ago, or especially 15 years ago. Miserable crowds, bad oversized stadiums. The last 10 years of expansion have been good -- new clubs have nice stadiums, much improved crowds and atmosphere. NYCFC has been the only iffy expansion club.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 PM

958 posts, read 1,146,361 times
There's also a side thing, in the last years UEFA and FIFA have started to pretend all the stadium to be roofed and with no atletic traks if they wanna get eligibile to host major soccer events, like finals or World/continental championships.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,056,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree. There are too many teams, and MLS is trying to expand too fast. They need to give it time to grow in popularity.
For what it's worth, many people say the same about the current Big Four leagues. Even the NFL...

So if anything, the MLS is just "one of the guys" now.

Expansion won't stop until around 28 and I doubt it'll effect the popularity. If anything, it helps.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 AM

167 posts, read 127,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
For what it's worth, many people say the same about the current Big Four leagues. Even the NFL...

So if anything, the MLS is just "one of the guys" now.

Expansion won't stop until around 28 and I doubt it'll effect the popularity. If anything, it helps.
I'll be stunned if it stops before 32 tbh, might go past that. So many strong suitors right now, it will be hard to say no to them.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,056,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
I'll be stunned if it stops before 32 tbh, might go past that. So many strong suitors right now, it will be hard to say no to them.
28 is ideal. 32 is possible... but I doubt they'll go past that until the other "big boy leagues" go past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer