Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
That's national pride, buddy.
Exactly… and it's something I want no part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
Besides the US:

1. France and Germany (three Arsenal players each)

2. Against Cristiano Ronaldo

3. Upsets/crazy results

Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM

248 posts, read 310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
That pretty much sums up why I DON'T root for the US.

Well, Scotland is not in the cup so I couldn't be rooting for them even if I wanted to, could I? The point of the thread was that I can't decide WHO to root for. My lineage is all in the US for as far as I can trace on either side. I'm not an 'American' in the sense that I think it's superior to other places, but I don't necessarily think it's inferior either. In any case, I don't want to root for them because… well why don't we just keep letting your own responses answer that.
Don't give me that B.S. You refuse to root for your own country because of why exactly? Because some guy on an internet message forum said something nasty?

Root for whomever you want to. I don't give a sh*t. Saw hello to gay hitler in hell for me.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
There is a special place in hell for Americans that root for other countries in the World Cup instead of their own.
No, there's really not. The US wins at life; they don't need to win the WC. I root for poor countries, Ivory Coast particularly. They have fantastic pace/talent, and two of the best games I've ever seen are/were IC vs. Colombia just a couple days ago and IC vs. Argentina in 2006. They tend to underachieve at the WC, though.

During the US v Ghana game, I wasn't sure who to cheer for. Love Essien; he's one of the best players of my lifetime (like Yaya Toure for IC).

Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
I root only for the USA and don't really let my dead ancestors who i never met decide who i would cheer for if US gets knocked out.

I just turn on a game and root for the team with the best looking uniforms.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
Americans always root for El Tri.

-Cheers.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM

248 posts, read 310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
No, there's really not. The US wins at life; they don't need to win the WC. I root for poor countries, Ivory Coast particularly. They have fantastic pace/talent, and two of the best games I've ever seen are/were IC vs. Colombia just a couple days ago and IC vs. Argentina in 2006. They tend to underachieve at the WC, though.

During the US v Ghana game, I wasn't sure who to cheer for. Love Essien; he's one of the best players of my lifetime (like Yaya Toure for IC).
I have my tongue in cheek with the whole going to hell stuff. Having said that, I don't understand how you could root against your own country. I know there is a tendency with some people to reject patriotism or to separate themselves from anything that has anything to do with nationalism . The right-wing in this country has made patriotism something that is hard to stomach. But there's a difference between uber nationalism and supporting your own country in a soccer tournament. The U.S does not win at life. We have high rates of homelessness, our health care system is shockingly inept, our students are left with huge debts after finishing their education. I could go on and on. Western Europe is winning at life right now.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Only the Northern half of Europe is winning; Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Scandinavian countries and France. All other countries; Spain, Portugal, UK, Italy, Greece and Ireland are doing terrible. They have high unemployment and a worse economy than us. That doesn't mean the US is better off because we hide all our major problems.

The US just won't look to the northern Euro countries for answers. They make up stuff like "they're homogenous, so it works better for them", which we all know is just rubbish.

Anyways enough politics! This is a football chat board!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Germany

Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 PM

675 posts, read 645,234 times
I'm American, and like watching American soccer. But, well, once they get knocked out, maybe the Netherlands. I liked them as a younger man, particularly Edgar Davids. And, well, the only jersey I own, club or country, is a NED training jersey. I just liked it.

But frankly, MLS has been more interesting to me this year. Go Sounders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer