Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 AM

4,002 posts, read 6,837,012 times

Advertisements

By the way, the current edition of the Brazilian league, the 2013 edition, will end in the next weekend, but the champion is already known, it's Cruzeiro.

Cruzeiro did a great campaign, and won the championship with several rounds of anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,078,383 times
I think the answer is simply that Europeans (for example) have more than enough local football to fill their time, I don't think they under-rate Brazilian, Argentinian or Colombian football etc - they just don't have time for it!! Its the case in the UK anyway - and saying this doesn't make me 'anti-Brazilian' or 'anti-Argentinian' before anybody suggests it!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think the answer is simply that Europeans (for example) have more than enough local football to fill their time, I don't think they under-rate Brazilian, Argentinian or Colombian football etc - they just don't have time for it!! Its the case in the UK anyway - and saying this doesn't make me 'anti-Brazilian' or 'anti-Argentinian' before anybody suggests it!!!

Funny part is that we have domestic football on TV here in Brazil every day from Tuesday to Sunday, and still people here know a lot about the European leagues!

Any way, I also wonder why Brazilian football is almost ignored in Asia, Africa, and the USA, compared to the European football... It's not that I'm jealous because European football is MORE popular than Brazilian football in those places... Being LESS POPULAR than European football is one thing, but being ALMOST IGNORED, compared to European football, is another different thing...

Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,025,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Funny part is that we have domestic football on TV here in Brazil every day from Tuesday to Sunday, and still people here know a lot about the European leagues!

Any way, I also wonder why Brazilian football is almost ignored in Asia, Africa, and the USA, compared to the European football... It's not that I'm jealous because European football is MORE popular than Brazilian football in those places... Being LESS POPULAR than European football is one thing, but being ALMOST IGNORED, compared to European football, is another different thing...
But what league really takes prominence? I'm sure coverage of Spanish football is bigger in South America than the Premier League.

Besides, the Spanish league tends to get second preference followed by the Bundesliga and Serie A on English TV with even the NFL, baseball and the MLS getting more coverage than the South American leagues.

But the French league for the most part is largely ignored. So it isn't really the distance but the lingering impression that all the best Brazilians and Argentinians end up in Europe anyway that puts audiences off South American football wrong as that may be.

As I referred to previously though Newells (Old Boys) were magnificent this year and I like that Liberty4dolores competition or whatever you call it. Mexican teams seem to be involved too Or is it just Brazilian and Argentinian sides Confuses and intrigues me in equal measure. Very entertaining competition.

In Chile they have a side called O'Higgins. Named after an Irishman I believe. As I've already stated South American football is just full of surprises.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

14,823 posts, read 12,078,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

The Premiership is a very entertaining league perhaps that's why its well liked, I don't think however that people underestimate the Brazilian league - there is just too much football in this world to fit it all in!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post

As I referred to previously though Newells (Old Boys) were magnificent this year and I like that Liberty4dolores competition or whatever you call it. Mexican teams seem to be involved too Or is it just Brazilian and Argentinian sides Confuses and intrigues me in equal measure. Very entertaining competition.

Liberty4dolores?? LOL!!!!

It's Libertadores!!

Libertadores Cup is the CONMEBOL equivalent to the Champions League. CONMEBOL is the UEFA of South America.

In principle, only the clubs from South America should participate, not the clubs from Mexico or Central America, since they are part of CONCACAF, not CONMEBOL. But there is a tradition of inviting clubs from Mexico to participate...

It's not just Brazil and Argentina, there are clubs from Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, and all other South American countries participating in the Libertadores, except for the Guyanas (that are members of CONCACAF).

Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM

150 posts, read 165,567 times
I agree Brazilian(and also other South American leagues, especially Argentinean one) are underestimated in other parts of the world. I used to wonder why, but recently I've been watching European football and some other sports such as American Football(NFL) and I think the main reason of this underestimation is the total disorganization of CONMEBOL and South American football confederations.

The first thing Brazil should stop doing is copying Europeans. Brazil is not like Europe, we have our own way of "doing football". Our clubs are different, our structure is different, everything is different.
In Europe, for example, each country has 2 or 3 clubs considered giants, and 2 or 3 others considered medium-big. Those clubs are every year fighting for the best positions in their league. In Brazil it's totally different, we have 12 clubs considered giants and at least 9 or 10 others considered medium-big.

In 2003, Brazil started having this "38 matches league with no playoffs". Although I find it a nice format, it's not good for Brazil. Brazilian supporters are not used to this(since the Brazilian league had always had playoffs) and our geography makes it terrible. I mean, in Europe they play 1 game a week usually(I'm only considering national leagues) and it never takes more than two hours to go from one city to another. In Brazil teams play 2 matches a week(I'm only considering national leagues too) and some flights can take 6-7 hours or even more.

As I said, recently I've been watching the NFL and I've been wondering how nice it would be to have a match like a Super Bowl in Brazil. Obviously, we can't copy the USA because they are very different when compared to Brazil. But the format of the American leagues, which are very close to the format Brazil used to have before 2003 are much better for Brazil than the European ones, since US has a similar geography and that's the way most Brazilian are used to watch football.

I don't think the return of the playoffs are the solution to all problems in Brazilian football but I do think it would be a nice start, especially if they do it in an organized way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer