Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,158,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I'd dare say "or hope" that the area has become much less "pro-Obama" as the OP eluded to (what a stupid criteria to base your happiness on anyway!).
I don't think the area is so much "pro-Obama" as it is that people were left with a bad taste in their mouths because of the war in Iraq and the fact that Republicans say one thing and do another after they get elected. Approximately half of Republicans hate Bush's policies and are ready to hang the Republican party right now. Democrats went though the same process after Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:39 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,158,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjuliano View Post
Chicago, Detroit, Gary, East St. Louis, Ferguson. Yup, real unfortunate the whole Midwest isn't like that.
Ummmmmmm those places are generally considered part of the Midwest. Maybe not from your vantage point, but most people generally consider the Midwest as starting in Ohio.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,089,669 times
Are you looking a for a racially accepting, decently multicultural and well integrated community? Because you will find that in Sioux Falls. While predominantly white there are people from all over the world and there is much less overt racism in the city than I have seen elsewhere. It is not unusual to see interracial couples walking the streets and (excepting a few older traditionalists) no one bats an eye.

Or are you looking for a community of African Americans complete with churches, restaurants, businesses and cultural institutions and a sense of shared community? Because this does not exist in Sioux Falls, at least not yet. To be honest there simply isn't a high enough AA population to support this type of community.

In closing I would say if you are black and you want to live in a small city like Sioux Falls, go for it! But if you are going to miss having that shared community and culture you might reconsider.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,346 times
I am moving to Aberdeen from Florida for a contract position.

Can someone please answer the following questions for me I would greatly appreciate it!

What are the best places to rent (value/quality)?

Do any of these places come fully furnished?

What are the best places (value/quality)to shop for groceries?

I have a diverse set of friends (clean-cut, college educated, Latino, Black, Asian) that may come to visit.

Does Aberdeen have any places they can get a haircut?

Does Aberdeen have any multicultural non-denominational churches?

How open are people in Aberdeen to new people or visitors?[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
I have been looking for a room for the past month and every time i feel like i found something, people will ask for my name. When they find out that its not a "traditional" name, people will just stop communicating with me.

Example 1

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Example 2

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I like the people on this forum, but you guys need to stop sugar coding the issues.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I'm 29African American female and I'm a Teacher I would like to ask about living . Could you suggest the best area for getting into the school district . I want a studio affordable apartment and a decent safe town . Any suggestions? Also do Sioux Falls have any type of public transportation? I love the outdoors are their any beaches. Thank you!
So much
Any help greatly appreciated
Tonya it

Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,089,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher2019 View Post
I'm 29African American female and I'm a Teacher I would like to ask about living . Could you suggest the best area for getting into the school district . I want a studio affordable apartment and a decent safe town . Any suggestions? Also do Sioux Falls have any type of public transportation? I love the outdoors are their any beaches. Thank you!
So much
Any help greatly appreciated
Tonya it
I don't think there is a best area for getting into the district. The town is small enough you should be able to get to whatever school if you live in the city. Rent tends to be pretty cheap compared to what I am used to but it will depend on your frame of reference. There is a bus, I don't know how good it is though. Sioux Falls is far inland so no beaches... Generally not a ton of outdoorsy stuff depending on where you are comparing it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls