Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM

184 posts, read 339,245 times

Advertisements

I'm hunting for a new job, due to a layoff, and I'm considering a job located at USD in Vermillion. The job sounds great but not sure I'm up for living in a small college town, especially since I'd be moving with my husband and soon to be 3 year old son so we're looking for lots of family activities. I also want to live somewhere that my husband can find a decent job--he tends to work mostly in manufacturing, production, warehouse, etc.

Other threads have mentioned Beresford as a possible "midpoint" in between Vermillion and Sioux Falls. I've done a little digging but haven't found much about it, since it's so small. Would other people recommend this? Are there other places to consider? If I lived in a southern suburb of Sioux Falls, would this be too long of a commute to Vermillion especially in the winter?

We would be relocating from the Twin Cities so we are VERY accustomed to snow, ice and cold. However I know there's a difference between plowed city highways and long stretches of highway in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 PM

4,878 posts, read 6,943,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I'm hunting for a new job, due to a layoff, and I'm considering a job located at USD in Vermillion. The job sounds great but not sure I'm up for living in a small college town, especially since I'd be moving with my husband and soon to be 3 year old son so we're looking for lots of family activities. I also want to live somewhere that my husband can find a decent job--he tends to work mostly in manufacturing, production, warehouse, etc.

Other threads have mentioned Beresford as a possible "midpoint" in between Vermillion and Sioux Falls. I've done a little digging but haven't found much about it, since it's so small. Would other people recommend this? Are there other places to consider? If I lived in a southern suburb of Sioux Falls, would this be too long of a commute to Vermillion especially in the winter?

We would be relocating from the Twin Cities so we are VERY accustomed to snow, ice and cold. However I know there's a difference between plowed city highways and long stretches of highway in rural areas.
Beresford is a viable option. It's right on the interstate so you've got 4 lane highway all the way to Vermillion. It's a little bit of a commute though (maybe 30 miles) for a daily round trip drive. It's a nice town just big enough to have most everything you need such as restaurants, limited shopping, in town school etc. Another town I would consider would be Elk Point. It's got everything I mentioned with Beresford, is on the interstate, but is closer to Vermillion. You're farther from Sioux Falls, but closer to Sioux City which is a town of around 80,000. It's still close enough to drive to Sioux Falls (which is approx. twice the size of Sioux City) for shopping and events. There is a fairly large manufacturing presence in Sioux City, so this could be a good place to live as to job opportunities.

I wouldn't live in a suburb of Sioux Falls as I believe that the commute will get to you after a while.

I'm a Coyote supporter and believe in the university. I think you'd enjoy working for USD. With your husband's background, you might have him check out Polaris in Vermillion. A friend of mine (and fellow USD alum) has a son working there and he likes it well enough that he's hoping to make that a career. It's a very large distribution center for Polaris.

I can understand your concern as to raising a family in Vermillion. The town is pretty much dominated by USD. The school there based on everything I've heard is excellent though. Even though it's a college town by all definitions, it's not a dangerous place to be. Most all the students are from South Dakota and the rural areas of Iowa and Nebraska. With few exceptions, well raised kids with values.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:22 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
First runner up would be Yankton, there is some manufacturing there. First choice would be Elk Point, it is a great halfway point between Sioux City and Vermillion. Sioux City would have more manufacturing jobs.

Sioux Falls is dandy, Beresford is the halfway point between Sioux Falls and Vermillion but the distance would be greater than that to Sioux City - Vermillion.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 PM

184 posts, read 339,245 times
Thank you for the suggestions, and advice on commute times! I will certainly check them out.

My current commute was 30 min on average, 45+ with snow/ bad traffic so 30 min does not seem that long to me. Of course less would be ideal.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
I drive 80 miles a day round trip. Total of an hour and a half if I could cut down the drive time I'm game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls