Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2024, 01:58 PM

24 posts, read 41,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family (me, wife, three kids 10, 12, and 14) is considering the Shreveport area for a job-based relocation. We have a few other possibilities, all based on if job offers come through. The job would be the wife's and located in the downtown area near the Shreveport Convention Center. I am fully remote so can work from wherever we decide to live.

I may have (hey, I was a youngster) visited Shreveport and the surrounding area 30 years or so ago and realize of course everything has changed. There is an upcoming interview there in a few weeks, but due to work schedules, no real time to do any exploring.

As most do in this situation, I'm wondering what areas would allow a reasonable commute but also be desirable for a family with school age children. I would say anything within an hour (during peak traffic times) of the job location would be acceptable. We'll be buying a house and would like to limit the max price to 600K.

I've done the typical "best places to live near . . ." internet search but can't really trust those results since they vary so wildly between websites. COL will be much less than where we are right now (New Hampshire).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Bossier City is the better of Shreveport-Bossier City for living. They are 2 separate cities each sprawling along the Red River. The schools are better and the shopping is very good.

One caveat- Bossier traffic is bad, due to numerous railroad crossings. Probably no worse than Shreveport.

Bossier is close to downtown Shreveport, so commuting shouldn't be a problem. Right now the state is rebuilding I-20 which has caused many snarls and wrecks. Once it's finished it shouldn't be a problem.

People are going to say this metro is awful, but I believe it's like any other metro in the US. Same problems, crime, etc. Shreveport itself has a high crime rate, but Bossier's is considerably lower. Keep that in mind. More than anything, it's just super hot and humid in the summer.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 41,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
People are going to say this metro is awful, but I believe it's like any other metro in the US. Same problems, crime, etc. Shreveport itself has a high crime rate, but Bossier's is considerably lower. Keep that in mind. More than anything, it's just super hot and humid in the summer.
Even New Hampshire has "small" metro areas that reflect the same issues as large metro areas from other states. I'm originally from Los Angeles so familiar with those issues. Thanks for the information.

At this point, we'll take hot and humid summers over harsh winters. Been here for about 16 years now and we're done with that. Unless someone has been outside at 2 am in -17 F trying to refill their generator so the house doesn't freeze from the loss of power caused by yet another ice storm, they haven't experienced New Hampshire winters!

Old 03-07-2024, 03:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Well, best of luck to you bmw and if you have any other questions that need an answer, feel free to ask. I usually check the Louisiana forum if I see something about Shreveport-Bossier City.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:15 AM

735 posts, read 409,146 times
Shreveport is a nice area if you have money. Some areas are very bad and its literally street to street (bad and good areas mixed together). Put your kids through private school system too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City