Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Walmart Shopper thinks Dow Jones average is 5 FEET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I really think that this is kind of mean-spirited. All of the people seemed like nice folks to me, except for the announcer.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I agree I think this Mark DIce is very mean spirited, arrogant and condescending. Why would people know what the stock market is if we are not buying stocks?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I watch/listen to the news every day and I'm not sure what the Dow is doing today; what a son-of-gun...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I'd bet my last dime that this jerk talked to people that DID know what the DJIA is and what it was at that day. But of course, those interviews were edited out because they didn't suit his agenda.

I shop at WalMart occasionally and I could have answered all his questions. But if he opened with the Chinese slave stuff...I would have told him to go Moderator cut: language removed and walked away before he got to his financial questions.

I'm liberal-leaning, but guys like that are embarrassing.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-06-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 11:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
PC these pompous YouTUbe blogs are probably a good outlet for people who can't make it as a real journalist or reporter. Even in the already liberal leaning media outlets!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I don't shop at Walton-owned businesses solely because I sat in the dock at one of their distribution centers for 11.5 unpaid hours. Now, despite that, Walmart/Sam's Club has done a lot for this country. I'm not alaways pleased with the way they treat their employees. but the majority of complaints are from the lowest level employees and, if you're worth anything at all, you can move into better jobs with more pay. Even at Walmart. I've got some issues with our trade policies. But "blind-siding" Walmart shoppers is not the right way to address them...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM

178 posts, read 361,058 times
more walmart bashing? yawn.

Mr. Dice mustn't have heard about Target making 8,000 of it's employees go from full time to part time so they don't have to pay their health insurance.

sorry, but bash walmart all you want but their competetors aren't any better, walmart just happens to be the biggest and easiest target. Target associates are all living in mcmansions and driving BMW's to work, right?
and they don't sell anything made in china.

same with sears, kmart and everyone else.

you could ask those same questions to college educated people on the streets of any major US city and still get the same responses.

and I'm sorry, but investing in the stock market isn't a sign of intelligence, it's just a sign that you've been classically conditioned to give your money to "fund managers and wall street" which is really a symptom of an almost complete lack of long term jobs and pensions in this country. sure , get rid of pensions and give them 401k, now everybody is a junior stock broker "diversifying his/her portfolio" with a path to future success. Now cue the commercial with people driving on the highway in the convertible with the sun shining and the top down.

401k are notorious for lack of fund choices and we've seen that the matching done by business can be taken away when the economy turns sour. they couldn't do that with a pension.

you do realise that people in other wealthy countries don't invest their retirement money in the stock market nearly as much as we do and consider it an undue risk? this is all part of getting the masses to give thier money over to wall street. at least with pensions there was a guaranteed return and you did nothig but contribute.

am I the only one who sees the disconnect with hating the union workers of GM, Ford etc and blaming them for the manufacturers problems but then all of a sudden everyone is the biggest workers rights advocates in the world when it comes to walmart? which is is america?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,446 times
I don't own stock but know what the DJ is. After all, it is one of the most important indicators of the health of our economy.

The interviewer is just showing how uninformed most people are, but even so I would rather spend time with the shoppers than with him. Provided they knew something about how the world works.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I shop at WalMart all the time. I don't have enough money to have financial pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products