Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,905,309 times

Advertisements

Apparently when you disconnect from water and electricity, the city you are living in doesn't like it very much..... No doubt this has everything to do with the loss in revenue to the city and nothing to do with safety....

Florida City Threatens Woman For Living Off the Grid - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,781 times
Yeah saw this before. She was off grid alright, except she WAS using the city's sewage system which they weren't happy about.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,935,781 times
- But I thought the government encourages alternative amenities like Solar and Wind Power.
- And after all doesn't one's taxes pay for the sewer system?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
When we had a cold snap earlier this winter, the power company sent a guy out to make sure I hadn't fooled with the meter because my use hadn't skyrocketed during event.

While others had bills of $300+, mine was $21 so they thought I was doing something nefarious

My primary heat is wood, not electric, so when the inspector saw that it was no big deal as it is a pretty widespread practice here.

I just thought it was funny that they were so concerned that they weren't getting as much money from me as they thought they should

Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- But I thought the government encourages alternative amenities like Solar and Wind Power.
- And after all doesn't one's taxes pay for the sewer system?
I don't know about other places, but in my local town, the sewer payment is part of the water and garbage and considered a "city service".

Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I don't know about other places, but in my local town, the sewer payment is part of the water and garbage and considered a "city service".
Exactly. That's why they were pissed the woman in Fla. wasn't paying them. Sure, she didn't need the utilities but she WAS using the sewage.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 PM

409 posts, read 512,437 times
In January 2012, she had her real estate license revoked following a second complaint that she had not returned a $3,500 deposit following a failed condo sale.
With that being said, I'm sure she was well aware of the city codes. In addition , how could she be residing in the home without a C.O. One must obtain a temp or regular C.O. For the C.O. to be issued, she must comply with the local codes.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,699,029 times
Most cities will not allow occupancy of a home without water service. If you don't have water, you have no sanitation. That may work out in the boonies somewhere, but not in high density residential areas. Private wells in cities are usually contaminated and not potable, though they are sometimes allowed with regularly inspected backflow preventers to eliminate the danger of cross-contamination.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
She just needs to find a more rural county that is "off-grid" friendly, and with no large cities within its borders. There are still some out there if you poke around a bit. Some counties actually go out of their way to welcome off-grid type folks by relaxing some of the codes that may make sense in large metro areas but are ridiculous in a rural setting.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,845,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Most cities will not allow occupancy of a home without water service. If you don't have water, you have no sanitation. That may work out in the boonies somewhere, but not in high density residential areas. Private wells in cities are usually contaminated and not potable, though they are sometimes allowed with regularly inspected backflow preventers to eliminate the danger of cross-contamination.
Each state is different, some places have water management districts that are God-like in their powers to make your life miserable. However, often there are good reasons why codes are in place, esp. in higher density areas. I just think that every law should be enforced according to its spirit, NOT its letter. If I live in the city and I can safely put solar panels on my roof, it should be the city's responsibility to move with the times. If I can safely collect water, same thing.

The problem comes from the fact that a lot of local government employees are a curious mix of a bureaucrat and God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness