Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM

26,478 posts, read 19,348,684 times

Advertisements

SORRY, that's "Wheat and Grain Storage" on the title there...

I thought a thread about storing grains/flour (I'll concentrate on wheat) might be useful for those who haven't done any of this. I've seen a few comments here over the months asking why anyone would want to store wheat. One comment I remember is "why store wheat if you may not have a dependable source of heat for cooking, yeast/start for making bread rise, or a way to make flour from the wheat.

I'll start with a response to that comment: Personally, I am really into all sorts of grains, but a more general answer to that question would be that wheat and other grains have been stored throughout time because they are very easy to store compared to most other foods and they supply a lot of "bang for the buck" when it comes to nutrition. Also, wheat is not only for bread. Bread is great, but there are many other foods you can make from wheat. Lastly, if you don't have yeast to make bread, baking soda (or baking powder) works great and doesn't lose it's ability to make bread rise if stored properly--try some Irish Soda Bread. I just made some and make it quite often--quick, easy, and pretty decent.

On to the storage aspect: first, you could simply store flour if you like. I do that as well as store grain. If it is the typical white flour from the big makers, it will last a long time. I've had some last quite a number of years (assuming it doesn't get bugs or too much humidity). You do need to be careful, though. If you want to store it for an extended time, you'll need to stick with the white flour. The mills make that white flour specifically because it stores longer than other types. If you get what the mills call "whole wheat flour," your storage time drops considerably. AND, as an aside, the "whole wheat flour" from the store is generally NOT really whole wheat flour. If it were (there are some small mills who actually mill it) you would have to use it up quickly (more on this below). What you get with "whole wheat flour" from the grocery store is basically white flour with just a smidgen of bran added back in (or left in as the case may be).

A word about different kinds of wheat flours is probably in order about now. A simplified version of what a wheat berry consists of is the husk, the bran, the endosperm, and the germ. Of course, the husk is always removed (or at least almost always). Commercial white flour is almost always just the milled endosperm, which is the majority of the wheat berry. The milled endosperm will keep a long time and different varieties of wheat are used for different types of flour (general purpose flour, cake flour, etc). As I said, "whole wheat flour" is where a bit of bran is left in the flour, which gives it that brownish color. It's supposed to be better for you, right? Well, real whole wheat flour would even be better than better for you. That would include the milled germ. Problem with that from a commercial standpoint is that milled germ contains a lot more oil than the rest of the wheat berry. This in turn causes it to go rancid much more quickly. Therein lies the main reason that white flour came into being--storage suitability. And I'll bet you thought it was just to make the flour prettier or cheaper to mill, right???

Okay, so this brings up why you might want to store your "flour" as whole grains (wheat berries). Stored properly, that wheat will last 30 years, and that is WITH the wheat germ intact, along with the bran. Of course, you probably don't want to buy it with the husks still attached unless you're into threshing it. The idea is to store the wheat and grind/mill only as much as you need of the REAL whole wheat flour as needed (again, it won't store for very long in this form). If you've ever tasted bread from ground whole wheat, you know there is a huge difference in taste--even if the wheat berries are bought commercially and stored for years.

As for milling it, there are many choices of small mills, both stone and steel, both powered and hand-operated. There are a few good ones out there, but there are quite a few pieces of junk as well. The problem with cheap mills is that they will only grind your "flour" to the consistency of corn meal and that the damn things fall apart in no time. Also, in my opinion, an electric mill is not a good choice for survival plans. Get a good hand mill or both an electric and a had mill. Some mills will convert. If you want my favorites (I researched the mills extensively and tried a few before buying one), you can DM me. I don't want to come across as an advertisement here.

As for the types of wheat that are used for different foodstuffs, there is hard, soft, and durum. Hard is generally for all-purpose and breads, soft for cake flour, and durum for pasta. Of course, there are other types of grains and corns that can be milled to flour.

I'm really into wheat, oats, spelt, and a couple of others. You have a huge catalog of grains or "considered" grains to chose from: hard red wheat, soft red wheat, hard white wheat, soft white wheat, oats, spelt, rices, barley, millet, tef, sorghum, rye, QK-77/Kamut (see note below for interesting story), amaranth, quinoa, corns, etc. Some store better than others. Some are very small "grains" (millet, quinoa, amaranth). Many are great eating just cooked--you don't have to grind them into flour. The only grain I haven't messed around with much is rye--storing rye can be... ummm... problematic. It's probably not that serious a concern, but I'm not into the off chance of dabbling in hallucinogenics. Nuthin like a sur-viv-alist after 'es got the Saint Anthony's Fire inside of 'eem. And y'all thunk 'eh was nutty before hand...

Anyway, there you have a little rundown of why many preppers store wheat/grain. It's nearly the perfect food for storage--as many seed foods are. If you don't believe me, set a pile of spinach leaves or fruit next to a pile of whole wheat berries on your cupboard for a couple months and report back.

Anyway, most of you guys probably already knew most of this, but if not, I hope it was interesting enough to spark your further research into wheat/grains. It's almost a hobby for me. Also, if you know this stuff and see any inaccuracies, please correct me. If you would like some good reading on the topic, there are a couple of great books about grain identification in general and how to grow, mill, and prepare it for eating. DM me if you want the names of the books.

interesting note: QK-77 (aka Kamut) is said to be bred from a handful of wheat berries that were discovered in an Egyptian tomb. They supposedly were planted and actually grew. Some years latter, a company started growing it commercially and selling it as Kamut (a variation on the Egyptian word for wheat). If true, that's the ultimate proof for the storability of wheat. I haven't seen whole Kamut wheat berries, but I've been told they are quite large compared to our typical wheat.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-02-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,865,145 times
Question on these: do you use vacuum sealing or just airtight plastic or glass jars? I have found many stores sell from glass jars and some of that which I stores in airtight plastic containers didn't stay as nice as when I borrowed a friend's sealer. Did this years ago -- all is long used up -- so this is basically a theoretical question. Also, do you know anything on triticale? it is often in whole grain flat breads. How is it's storage. I believe it was developed for the cold areas of Canada.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,734,243 times
One thing that people need to take into account is where they live and where their storage facility is.

When I lived down South, this was the accepted practice for storing wheat and other whole grains: Buy a large trash can. Buy large and thick (at least 3 mil) trashcan liners. Line the trashcan with the liner. pour the grain in. Pop a CO2 cartridge, throw it in on top of the grain, quickly and tightly twist-tie the bag shut (leaving a little room for the expansion of the gas). Seal the trash can lid on top of this. It will keep for many years in the massive humidity and heavy bug-infested areas of the South.

My brother lives in Idaho, and we went to visit him 6 years ago to ski. We were talking about food storage and the different ways to do it. He said that they just either keep the grain in the big 5 gallon buckets with lids - as they come from some dealers - or they buy the 50-lb bag from local growers and put the bags in a trash can in the basement without any additives or extra protection. Since where we now live in NE has very low humidity, I no longer follow the procedure we did in SC - but I do not leave grain bags out on the floor or in a shelf. Even our opened and unopened flour bags (50 lbs) of both whole wheat and white are kept in large trash cans.

I guess it always appalls me how some 'preppers' just buy bags of grain and stack them on a floor or shelf. Even if you live in a very dry area, humidity in a storage area or basement can often build up on a floor under the bags, or between bags. An unprotected bag is an invitation to bugs and other critters. I once saw a stack of full grain bags on a shelf right above a litter box that hadn't been changed in awhile on one of those prepper shows. I shudder to think how close those incessant ammonia gases and other contaminants were to food.

Moldy grain can also produce - um, a version of LSD so concentrated that it can kill you. Google "St Anthony's Fire". The one thing I am absolutely insane about is cleanliness in the food storage area. Mold, bugs, and other contaminants will destroy stored food, and sometimes you don't even know that they are there - until you are running out naked screaming in the snow and your neighbors call 911, or too weak to raise your head off of the bathroom floor to lean into the toilet.

I don't store my grain in jars or sealed bags; for one thing, it takes more than a couple of cups of grain/flour to make our bread, and not even a gallon-size ziploc will hold enough for just one baking session. Plus I don't like to waste jar space! My jars are for canning, my ziplocs for short-term storage in either the freezer or the dehydrated vegies in the cabinet.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,099,635 times
Agree on the storage methods being paramount to food safety. Because grains will have bugs/eggs in them already I'm inclined to line the 5 gal. buckets with mylar bags and use the O2 absorbers for the longer term storage. This is my method of choice with flours, cereals, beans, as well.

I've read that when it comes to mills the steel is better than stone for overall durability. Anyone with any experience who will comment?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM

26,478 posts, read 19,348,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Also, do you know anything on triticale? it is often in whole grain flat breads. How is it's storage. I believe it was developed for the cold areas of Canada.
Triticale is a hybrid of wheat and rye. The idea was to get the flavor and bread-making qualities of wheat and the growing resilience and disease resistance of rye. It stores pretty much the same as wheat. It's flavor is stronger than wheat, since it's part rye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agree on the storage methods being paramount to food safety. Because grains will have bugs/eggs in them already I'm inclined to line the 5 gal. buckets with mylar bags and use the O2 absorbers for the longer term storage. This is my method of choice with flours, cereals, beans, as well.

I've read that when it comes to mills the steel is better than stone for overall durability. Anyone with any experience who will comment?
Stone mills are a bit more efficient than steel, but also tend to have the stone surfaces clog up and become glazed if you mill some of the oilier grains. This doesn't happen with steel and steel parts are easier to clean as well. Both have advantages, but from a maintenance standpoint, steel is probably the better bet.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:23 PM

4,171 posts, read 10,734,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

The CO2 cartridges were what we used to do the same job as the O2 absorbers; by removing the oxygen, you prevent both critters and mold from growing. I just have a problem having faith in the O2 absorbers; maybe "hit's jist sumfin newfangled", but - how can those tiny bags absorb that much O2?

The only 'stone grinder' I've ever had were a mortar and pestle, and that was a pain in the um - hands. It did get sticky and hard to clean. The hand grinder we have now is steel burr, and it does everything - grain and nuts - just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness