Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,245,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You made me laugh...thanks, almost nobody can do that for me nowadays!

OF COURSE you put them back outside on the stakes during the day. You just remove them to bring inside at night.

In our case, if it gets too cold at night during winter, we could just lean them up against a south-facing window for the daily charging.
Oh, I got ya!

You know most of those outdoor lights have pointy things on the bottom to stick in the ground. They will fall over a lot when you have them inside.

Now you can probably cut the pointy things off. I don't know. It's really not a bad idea though. Except you have to remember to take them all outside during the day (which you will forget from time to time), and then there are the days where the sun doesn't shine (unless you are someplace perpetually sunny).

It's really quite a creative idea though. I like it!

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,304,597 times
Default 20yrsinBranson

We have used landscape lights during hurricanes. Just bring them indoors and stick them into cans filled with pebbles. We have bricks that we use for this. They are the kind with 3 holes. We stack them 3 high and put a light in the middle hole.

Came up with this during hurricane Katrina. The lights went out, but the landscape lights were merrily glowing away!

And - thanks lifelongMOgal. I am going to try to get one of the Ikea lamps!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,304,597 times
Default web site

Didn't like Ikea, but found another one:

www.naturepowerproducts.com

Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,537,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh, I got ya!

You know most of those outdoor lights have pointy things on the bottom to stick in the ground. They will fall over a lot when you have them inside.

Now you can probably cut the pointy things off. I don't know. It's really not a bad idea though. Except you have to remember to take them all outside during the day (which you will forget from time to time), and then there are the days where the sun doesn't shine (unless you are someplace perpetually sunny).

It's really quite a creative idea though. I like it!

20yrsinBranson
You'll like it even better once I explain (as I have once before in this thread) that the lights screw or pull right off (depending on model) those "pointy things" which are just ground stakes. Sure, really -- you just remove the light from that pointy thing, and bring it inside to place on a shelf, table, or on a stairway for aux lighting, as they are not too bright, but make fine ambient lighting, just as they do outdoors.

You do have a valid point, though, that you need to remember to put them outside each day. However, you don't need bright sunlight; just plain daylight will get all those photons jumping with excitement!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,395 times
You can what you need at amazon.com

Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 AM

7,415 posts, read 12,786,761 times
During the recent SoCal power outage we took our solar lights from the backyard and brought them inside--a great solution. So now we have them lined up outside for an easy grab just in case, and the "pointy thing" is easily removed. As for Scandinavians selling solar power--that just goes with their green attitude. But it is rather ironic: In the Scandinavian summer you can charge outdoor solar lights from 4 or 5 am until it gets dark around 11 pm (depending on where you are), but you really don't need them because you'll be asleep when they finally go on! And in winter when you need them there may not be enough light to charge them at all...but they're perfect for spring and fall!

Another good use of solar lights which we learned from friends is to place them around your campsite when camping out. If you're out in the woods, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to find your way home after dark, with those little lamps in place! Just remember to take them all with you when you pack up and leave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness