Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,051,630 times

Advertisements

Shook this house in Staten Island and scared the sh*t out of me!

Dad was out with the dog so I ran into the kitchen and pushed this poor, near-crippled woman out the door! Doesn't seem to be any damage to anything but my heart.

Talked to my Mom a few minutes ago and said, "NOW do you understand why I want emergency provisions in the basement!!!!!" LOL!

I think I may have convinced her to put some extra effort into it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,707,398 times
Felt small tremors in Hartford.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,528,716 times
A 5.9 quake is respectable in anyone's book. If you've never experienced one before, I'm sure it was MOST disconcerting (to say the least)! How far away from your house was the epicenter?

As a Southern California resident since 1988, here's a word of caution from me to you. A cellar is a great place of shelter and refuge from storms; not so much for 'quakes. If your house is brought down or rendered unsafe by 'quake damage, your supplies down in the basement might as well be on the Moon.

I keep my family's emergency gear and supplies in the garage, along the outside wall near the door, so that I can extract them quickly from the house if need be. Even if the garage roof caves in, the supplies are still much easier to extricate than they would be in the basement.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,294,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post

Talked to my Mom a few minutes ago and said, "NOW do you understand why I want emergency provisions in the basement!!!!!" LOL!
Interesting. After an earthquake you want to put emergency supplies in the basement. Where exactly do you think that the house would end up, should a quake big enough to cause it to collapse happen?

The above comment is not intended to deride or disparage, but your experience provides an interesting learning tool for the rest of us as to why the brain is the most important survival tool. I'm sure that in a couple of minutes you'll realize how much of a non sequitur your statement to your Mom is.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,533,085 times
My daughter lives in North Carolina and she felt it. Didn't know what it was until I e-mailed her.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,527,519 times
Thirty-plus years in NY out on the Island, and never felt an earthquake. I finally move, and what happens..... I miss all the good stuff. Darn.

Oh well, I guess this is coming: Hurricane Irene marks 1st big US threat in years

Also,

http://news.yahoo.com/magnitude-5-5-...060848836.html - Magnitude 5.5 earthquake hits southern Colorado

GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) — A magnitude 5.3 earthquake shook southern Colorado late Monday, waking some people up and startling hundreds of others in a sparsely populated region near the New Mexico border.

The quake — the largest to strike Colorado in a decade

So a quake hits the east coast (http://www.ketv.com/r/28951692/detail.html - broken link) -and- CO within a half a day time span? Interesting.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 08-23-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 26,441 times
Whats funny about this quake in Virginia as opposed to the quake that happen last night in Colorado is the Virginia quake showed up on the PNSN site ( Pacific Northwest Seismic Network) PNSN - Webicorder Records (http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/VOLC/welcome.html - broken link) that has monitors on Mt Baker and Mt Rainer. Its odd that a closer quake, similar in size and depth didnt register.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,709,961 times
And here I sit in the middle, we didn't feel a thing... too far northeast for the Colorado one, too far west for the VA one. Guess that's why we're a flyover state... nothing much happens here.
I know, ****, Granny! LOL

I DO keep my stuff in the basement. Of course, we have a solid concrete exterior walkout to the back yard from the basement. (You can see the scars of the machinery where milk was brought directly into the basement to be cooled and processed from the outside barns.) We worry more about tornadoes, straight line winds of 60+ mph, and hail than earthquakes here, though. If the house goes, the basement is probably where we'll live til we get a new house built... it even has an old (blocked off) chimney from where the woodburning heater was once located in the basement!

100-year-old houses. Can't beat 'em nowadays for building strength AND ingenuity!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM

14 posts, read 26,441 times
SC, the last quake I felt was the Nisqually quake that happened in '01 in Washington state. It was around 7.?. I was in Portland, at a motel with my daughter and her two teenage friends, all three still in giggle fits after the backstreet boys concert from the night before. The quake started out slow, and progressed to a long, rocking 45 sec. It was the gentlest one I have been in, having been in a few in Cali when I was a child. We spent the rest of the day driving home listening to the radio for any info we could get.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,019,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post

Dad was out with the dog so I ran into the kitchen and pushed this poor, near-crippled woman out the door! Doesn't seem to be any damage to anything but my heart.

I think I may have convinced her to put some extra effort into it!
LOL good for you.

East coast rock is a whole other matter. A 5.9 here feels worse than a west coast same by a lot, so I read somewhere. I don't pretend to understand it, I simply read a few geology reports, since I live up hard to a east coast fault, ending in the non-magnetic pluton which is the Ossipee Ring D i k e. (nannied word around heya')

If any one wishs to see a topo map, on line, and see this ring d i k e. seach 03886 and back out, some, move the map 6 miles south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness