Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

Be afraid.

Be very afraid if the Japanese Reactors are not shut down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRoFdxNdQg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Though I am admittedly a party of one, I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over this.

First, it must be understood that I live in the greater Los Angeles area, which ostensibly is in the direct path of any radioactive particles emanating from the Japanese nuclear reactors.

Second, there is a whole danged lot of Pacific Ocean between me and the damaged Japanese reactors.

Third, I did my homework on nuclear fallout better than 25 years ago. My research focused on the findings published by the Oak Ridge National Laboratories, not those of Fox Noise or CNN. In other words, combining numbers two and three, I AIN'T WORRIED.

Fourth, in the remote chance that the ship should hit the sand, I have two (count 'em, TWO) recently-calibrated radiation (aka Geiger) counters. One is a surplus Civil Defense meter for general use, while the other is a much more sensitive medical instrument for detailed work.

To quote Alfred E. Neumann (MAD Magazine), "What, me worry?"

-- Nighteyes, the Old, Experienced and Prepared

Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM

The radiation plume is now drifting towards California and will, in time, go 'round the world says new info.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I am heading for the same hill I did when Chernobyl blew;where is my toothbrush.Everyone i Japan are dead apparently already.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
I agree again with Tightwad..... That fact alone is scaring me.... This is going to be a Royal mess for years to come.

Sometimes I think we are more or less on the same page, but have differeing ideas on how to deal with the issues. Fall out is a problem, no one can really run from.....

It bugs me when a Govt body says there is such a thing as an acceptable level of something...

Who the Hell are they to determine what is and what isn't 'acceptable'?

Only I know how many letters 'z' should be in my can of soup.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Troll thread when the first words in the post are: "Be Afraid".

No doubt it is horrific beyond imagination in Northern Japan. However, to claim "the sky is falling" from radiation fallout here in the mainland USA is just ridiculous.

There is more radiation danger from the radon gas in my basement than fallout from this nuclear disaster in Japan.

Simmer down and keep this in perspective. Folks like the OP are the ones doing more harm than good, pushing the panic button in downing potassium iodide pills, etc.... .

Preppers should not "panic" or fear monger. Fear is non-productive.

We now return to our regularly scheduled "Chicken Little" thread from Tightwad.

Mods, please join this with the OP's other Japan fear monger thread here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...than-were.html

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
I don't think that the situation in Japan is going to radiate us all to death here in the US. But isn't this entire self-sufficiency and preparation forum deemed the "chicken little" of CD forums in the first place? Most folks would put the little smiley face with it's eyes rolled up for just about every thread on this forum. Where do you draw the line between preparation (or "normal behavior") and paranoia? Who decides? The vast majority of people nowadays feel that having a BK down on the corner is all they will ever need. And how do you convince them otherwise? BK IS there, isn't it? I can walk to the BK here in town right now. Grab a Whopper. Why would I need to worry about not having food? It's there. You tell people with that attitude that they may need their own food in case of "problems" and they are going to call YOU chicken little.

I don't see that worrying about a radiation threat to you or your food supply is any more paranoid than worrying about food storage or preparation in general, do you? Isn't "prepping" supposed to cover many possible scenarios? Nuclear disaster is as viable as any other SHTF scenario. It certainly is a reality for the folks who may not be glowing in the dark yet, but are certainly in a very bad situation in northern Japan right now, isn't it? And couldn't something similar happen here? Hasn't it been pretty close to a reality in the past?

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-18-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
ChrisS, I was specifically addressing the OP's history of posting "panic" threads as well as addressing the regular visitors to this forum. Insighting fear and panic is a world away from preparation and survival, IMO it is actually the polar opposite. YMMV.

Yes, people are starving and have no clean drinking water in hard hit Northern Japan. If one can find foriegn websites there are videos showing physicians in hospitals pleaing for help. Even "immediate action" may not arrive in time to help the elderly and vulnerable populations in these areas. Sad, very sad.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Troll thread when the first words in the post are: "Be Afraid".

No doubt it is horrific beyond imagination in Northern Japan. However, to claim "the sky is falling" from radiation fallout here in the mainland USA is just ridiculous.

There is more radiation danger from the radon gas in my basement than fallout from this nuclear disaster in Japan.

Simmer down and keep this in perspective. Folks like the OP are the ones doing more harm than good, pushing the panic button in downing potassium iodide pills, etc.... .

Preppers should not "panic" or fear monger. Fear is non-productive.

We now return to our regularly scheduled "Chicken Little" thread from Tightwad.

Mods, please join this with the OP's other Japan fear monger thread here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...than-were.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
ChrisS, I was specifically addressing the OP's history of posting "panic" threads as well as addressing the regular visitors to this forum. Insighting fear and panic is a world away from preparation and survival, IMO it is actually the polar opposite. YMMV.

Yes, people are starving and have no clean drinking water in hard hit Northern Japan. If one can find foriegn websites there are videos showing physicians in hospitals pleaing for help. Even "immediate action" may not arrive in time to help the elderly and vulnerable populations in these areas. Sad, very sad.
If you don't like my threads then put me on ignore and save everyone from your rants since they add nothing to the discussion.

If you don't put me on ignore and continue to comment that will mean you choose to read my words which in turn means you have nothing to complain about.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Don't worry, tin foil hats will protect everyone and they are inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness