Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,031 times

Advertisements

So, we moved here from CA, and in CA when you rent from a complex, even though you give them a "refundable" deposit, it's pretty much a given that you will never see any of it again. I even paid $200 for professional cleaners to come in and clean my last apartment in CA (it looked better than when we moved in), and even though during my walk-through I was told I'd get the whole deposit back, they later e-mailed that they'd found several things that need fixing (which is BS, we kept that place in perfect condition) and wanted additional money from me. So, it's been like that at ever apartment I rented in CA.

So, when we moved here 3 years ago we put $1,000 down on our apartment, because at the time we had 2 cats. Before a year was up we had to rehome the cats. We notified the complex of this, so when our lease was renewed, they weren't included, but they kept the deposit. We've lived here 3 years, and the apartment is in good condition. The carpets need cleaning (but definitely don't need to be replaced), and the walls could use paint.

How likely are we to get any of our deposit back?

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,514 times
This is a great website for renter questions and answers and resources: Tenants Union of Washington State

It includes a great sample letter: Tenants Union of Washington State: Request for Deposit Return

A landlord can not keep a deposit without meeting certain criteria and timing, spelled out in RCWs that you'll find on the website. If they do retain your deposit inappropriately, you are entitled to twice your deposit returned to you.

One more thing: take lots of pictures of the condition when you move out, and include a date-stamp or newspaper for proof of date.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,031 times
Thank you!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 AM

522 posts, read 2,627,464 times
We rented from both an apartment complex and a homneowner out there and got all of our depoist back that was stated in the lease. Both leases stated that part of it was kept for carpet cleaning and a cleaning fee, so we knew what to expect back. We got it all, so should you if there is no damage above "normal wear and tear".

Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
We didn't get any of ours back from our Kirkland place and we left it in pristine condition. In fact they charged us $30 extra. It really depends on how evil the rental company is.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I've never withheld a deposit in WA and very Seldom in CA... mostly, it's been for a few days rent owed or damages like a broken window or missing screens.

Perhaps your management company will do a pre-move walk-through with you... it is law in CA upon Tenant request and I find it helps avoid surprises on both sides...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-12-2010 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,669,443 times
As someone involved in this industry, I would advise everyone to read their leases more carefully than most do. Many today mention "non-refundable" deposits, which simply means you won't get it back regardless of how you leave the property. It is a good idea to get a good description of what "non-refundable" means. If it means carpets and drapes/shades, then there is absoluely no point in trying to clean them upon move-out, unless there was unusual damage. The rest of the cleaning can be subjective, and you are at the mercy of the landlord, so a good reminder is to be very specific of any thing that is less than pefect. Most new apartment residents overlook this detail, and can easily cost them upon move-out. Be specific, be thorough, and be detailed. This will go a long way upon move-out. And if management changes during your stay, be sure and copy the new company with your concerns. I'm a landlord, so why should I care, but in fairness, and good ethics, this is just a good primer for renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: