Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM

17 posts, read 49,168 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm just researching about Seattle. I'm looking at Seattle on a short list of cities I'm considering to relocate to.

I keep hearing about people in Seattle not being friendly, among other things. So I'd like people's opinions regarding the following issues.

1. Transportation, keep in mind all major cities tend to experience traffic delays and transportation issues. So please dont respond its slow. Please tell me why you look down on it. (or up :-) )

2. Service, is customer service prevelant there? I currently live in Miami, and am originally from Cleveland. I realize service is always going to be lacking in a major city compared to more rural areas, but overall what are people's experiences with that here?

3. Housing price vs value. What are the general costs for housing, and what neighborhoods are considered to be nice/safe.

Anything else that you could share that's helpful and rooted in fact would be nice to hear. It would definately help me to decide if Seattle is the place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE C View Post
Hello All!

I'm just researching about Seattle. I'm looking at Seattle on a short list of cities I'm considering to relocate to.

I keep hearing about people in Seattle not being friendly, among other things. So I'd like people's opinions regarding the following issues.

1. Transportation, keep in mind all major cities tend to experience traffic delays and transportation issues. So please dont respond its slow. Please tell me why you look down on it. (or up :-) )

2. Service, is customer service prevelant there? I currently live in Miami, and am originally from Cleveland. I realize service is always going to be lacking in a major city compared to more rural areas, but overall what are people's experiences with that here?

3. Housing price vs value. What are the general costs for housing, and what neighborhoods are considered to be nice/safe.

Anything else that you could share that's helpful and rooted in fact would be nice to hear. It would definately help me to decide if Seattle is the place for me.
Shut up and go away.

Just kidding. I've lived all over the country, and Seattle residents are friendly enough. A fair percentage of people came here from somewhere else. Seattle is a city of tolerance of most things eclectic and artistic.

1. Transportation compared to where? That's a big omission in your post. I can say that road traffic is bad here like it is anywhere else, and the rain makes it worse. Mass transit is excellent in the city (keep in mind Seattle is a geographically large city and primarily residential/neighborhood stores) and service is decent "across the lake." It's critical that you carefully choose which side of Lake Washington to live on; commutes across the "floating bridges" (they really do float) are the big traffic bottlenecks and are scheduled to become toll roads, if that makes any difference.

2. I'm not sure what you are asking about customer service. YMMV in any service environment, there are gems and there are duds. You may find some "customer service" is do-it-yourself, like grocery checkout lanes or bookstore search computers, because Seattle is a tech-savvy city.

3. Generally, housing is expensive. Living in the city is safer than most cities.

I'd definitely visit, during the winter if possible. It's easy to fall in love with Seattle in the summer, it's perfect 78 degree weather and Mt. Rainier. In winter, it rains more often to the point it's always damp, it gets light after 8 and it's dark at 4:30 in the winter, and some people just can't take that for months at a time. It's a beautiful place, relatively safe, relatively prosperous, snow and mountains an hour away, and not for everyone. You also need to consider the job market.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Transportation overall as it compares to other major cities. For example Cleveland's public transit isn't amazing but is still good compared to Miami where they are inept at the concept entirely.

Also does the traffic infrastructure (highways/tollways/streets) make sense getting around?

Also can you think of any neighborhoods off the top of your head that would be better than others.

I'm accustomed to commuting as I've lived anywhere from 30-50 miles from work during the last few years, so my main concern is safety overall for my girlfriend who's not quite as street/city smart as I am.

Thanks for the tip on visiting. I plan to visit, but feel like there's only so much you can take in on a 'tourist' visit, and locals can offer an unique view as to day to day life which is important. Winter is definately a change from Miami, but as I'm from Cleveland I'm used to grey skies and snow from November - March and rain mixed in during that time so damp isn't great but I know what to expect mostly from that.

Job wise I'm in the hospitality business with hotels so I imagine I should be ok. Customer service I refer to how willing people are to help in store's and how good service is in service related industries such as restaurants

Old 02-01-2010, 03:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
People here are helpful and courteous. Well... for most part.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? We have many kinds, help us narrow it down by telling us your needs/wants.

If you plan on living w/in Seattle, there's really no need for a car. We have metro and the light rail. If live further out, then a car would be most helpful-- but of course, you'll have people who say they didn't need a car.

However living 50 miles from work is a bit excessive unless you're looking to buy a house, then obviously, I guess more money for more space.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM

biggest need is safety, i'd say next after that is convenience. i prefer for things to be in a near proximity 1-3 miles for all those things most people tend go to often bank, groceries, etc and next is being close proximity to mass transit.

being close to parks and recreation is nice but not a necessity

Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Ok, sorry, LOL... more information would be needed here (since what you're asking for covers a huge area): Kids? Willing to live in the "city" or looking more for suburbia? Are you looking to do the mass transit/gf drive or is it the other way around? Personality-- are you more artsy/eclectic kind, or would people classify you "yuppie"?

Seattle is pretty safe. Miami is "dirty" and maybe even "boring" (we aren't party-central here) compared to Seattle. But we have our own charms, and nature surrounds us.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM

i'm not as party party anymore. i'm more recreational sports and going to sporting events for fun (i'm a huge baseball Indians so the fact that the Mariners are AL West excites me since I can see my Indians play for the first time in 3-5 years)

you're right Miami is a very dirty and shady city. personally I dont like it. as far as kids myself and my girlfriend would be having kids most likely around that time (year or so from now) so i'd like somewhere conducive to raising a child. I'm definately willing to live in the city since I havent known much other than living in the 'city'

driving we havent really decided. i prefer to take transit and let her drive because i feel more confident in my ability to navigate a city than hers + i can use the local carsharing program you have there but she doesnt drive quite yet so she wont qualify for the program before we get there as even if she got her license today she wouldnt have the year of driving experience they require before hand.

personally i'm more of a homebody and like to stay in. i go out for sporting events and to be active in sports dont really do much in the way of clubbing or bars anymore. so somewhere close to a park, especially one with a softball diamond is preferrable. suburbia is nice but not a prerequisite.

i hope this gives more of the necessary info to be of help.

ps demographics of the neighborhood aren't as much of a concern (racially and age)

Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Check out Edmonds, its about 20ish minutes north of Seattle DT. Has a commuter train and buses to Dt Seattle. Edmonds itself has a quaint-hip DT, waterfront, ferry that takes you to other side of Puget sound (great opportunity to go exploring wilderness!). Great school district. Very safe (just make sure you're AWAY from Hwy 99). Has a couple parks.

Then there's the usual suggestions of Queen Anne, Magnolia, Ravenna, Capitol Hill, Ballard, Wallingford, Fremont, Phinney Ridge and Greenlake. All are much closer to DT Seattle. Greenlake has a great park that nearly everyone in Seattle goes to-- so lots of activities, is right next to the Zoo.

Just come on over, rent a place for a year and see if it's good fit. Seattle's not a bad place.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 PM

thanks for the help inkpoe...i'll definately research these some more to see what i think more specifically for them. i also hope to set up a trip out there and see them up close.

i think it helps one get a good feel, well as good as you can before you live there

Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,282,867 times
Check out North Beach. One of Seattle's best kept secrets. 12 minutes to downtown in rush hour. Jaw dropping million dollar views all over the neighborhood. Quiet, safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area