Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times

Advertisements

Hi - my husband and I are moving to the Seattle area next month as his company has relocated him to their Auburn offices. We are moving from Orlando, FL, but have lived in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR) before. We are in our late 30's, no kids, one dog, one cat, and are considering renting in West Seattle because it seems to have a funky vibe to it (book stores, eclectic shops, etc.); but we are concerned that the commute will be awful. Mapquest shows the distance/time at approx. 26miles/33 minutes. Any realistic comments on what that really means in "Seattle traffic time"? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
The reverse commute in your situation "should" be relatively easy. If you're living in Seattle (depending on where in the city you'll be located) and commuting during the normal commuting hours to Auburn, it should be definitely easier than the other way around.

In the morning, traffic flowing out of Seattle on SB I-5 is usually moving well once you leave the core downtown congestion. SR-167 is usually moving well also in the SB direction in the morning.

I'd plan on adding about 15 minutes on to the Mapquest time, however. And that's depending on where in Seattle you plan to be leaving from. If in the north end, forget it, add at least another 30 minutes. But if you're living in downtown Seattle, once you get out of the CBD, it should be fairly smooth sailing. If you're living in the south end (south of the CBD) then that Mapquest time could become more realistic.

In the afternoon rush hour, you'll have to definitely adjust the time figures as even the reverse commute will be substantially busier. You should probably add another 15 minutes or more to the morning times.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
The issue, as always, will be the bridge going into and out of West Seattle. It's unpredictable - so I would definitely give yourself more time. The theory of "Reverse Commute" really doesn't exist in the Seattle area. 5 could be backed up by twenty minutes at noon, with no clear reasoning for it.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
oops, I didn't catch the "West Seattle" part.

Ok, disregard my initial post.

I disagree with Jen on the reverse commute issue, though. USUALLY, in the morning during the rush hour, it's pretty smooth sailing going south on SR-167 for instance. Usually, I-5 nortbound going out of the city in the morning is pretty smooth sailing and southbound leaving isn't bad but can get bogged down until passing Southcenter ...most of the time in the morning, it's pretty good though.

Afternoon? ...forget it. You never know.

The place that "reverse commute" doesn't apply though, is definitely going to and from the eastside ...busy in both directions and can be at any time of the day.

Yes, definitely, I-5 could be backed up in the CBD or on the ship canal bridge at noon but it's usually due to an unusual circumstance ...accident, disabled car, construction, etc.

Anyway, getting back to the subject, yes, I agree with Jen on that, from West Seattle, add another 15-20 min, at least to the Mapquest time. It can be unpredictable.

Thanks.

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area