Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 AM

306 posts, read 320,689 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you guys could give me details about the Seattle transit system. Mainly, I was wondering how established and extensive the transit system is as a whole and the amount of ground it covers through the city.

Pretty much..... is Seattle livable/convenient without a car?

Thanks

Last edited by UrbanLover; 10-27-2009 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,740,173 times
Has public transportation improved?

This thread also contains links to other Seattle CD threads where Seattle public transportation has been extensively discussed.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM

306 posts, read 320,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Has public transportation improved?

This thread also contains links to other Seattle CD threads where Seattle public transportation has been extensively discussed.
I tried the "search" feature for old threads on this subject and the only hit was a argument of Atlanta vs Seattle. The responses were not too helpful. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 AM

S'ok.

*Seattle* is liveable without a car. However once you need to go beyond the city limit you soon find out how badly transit here does not work. Including never seeing the ocean or the mountains which are just....right.....here, but virtually impossible to access without a car.

I've been here almost two years and have never been to most places that comprise the 'Seattle area'. I'm not spending 2 1/2 hours on the bus each way to find out what Issaquah looks like, or Maple Valley, or Federal Way. Meh. I'm already pretty sure they don't justify a days ride on the bus.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 AM

52 posts, read 192,626 times
Quote:
S'ok.

I've been here almost two years and have never been to most places that comprise the 'Seattle area'. I'm not spending 2 1/2 hours on the bus each way to find out what Issaquah looks like, or Maple Valley, or Federal Way. Meh. I'm already pretty sure they don't justify a days ride on the bus.

I took the bus from Federal Way to Seattle M-F a year ago for work. So getting to FW is easy and only about a 30 minute bus ride on the express bus. However, once you get to FW, you have to rely on their bus system and it's nothing near as good as Seattle's, which is to be expected. But there isn't much to see in FW anyways.

The point still remains, you can live in Seattle and enjoy it without a car, but to see the greater area would be difficult without a car, just like any other city.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicazi View Post
I took the bus from Federal Way to Seattle M-F a year ago for work. So getting to FW is easy and only about a 30 minute bus ride on the express bus.
That's brilliant, it's all good as long as you're commuting (with a car) from some farflung park-and-ride to downtown Seattle--but I don't live in downtown Seattle--and the trip to Federal Way from where I live in Seattle and back, would easily take 4+ hours and at least 3 buses each way.

See the difference?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 626,812 times
Quote:
That's brilliant, it's all good as long as you're commuting (with a car) from some farflung park-and-ride to downtown Seattle--but I don't live in downtown Seattle--and the trip to Federal Way from where I live in Seattle and back, would easily take 4+ hours and at least 3 buses each way.
Exactly. The bus system is great if you're going to and from downtown Seattle, especially if you're going there in the morning and leaving in the evening. You could live anywhere in the metro area if you work downtown.

It is possible in other areas to get around via bus, but you have to choose your home carefully. If you live near a bus stop and within walking distance of a grocery store and other amenities, you'd might do okay. But although that's possible, as others have mentioned, it's not super easy in the suburbs (and parts of Seattle once you get further away from the core).

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM

457 posts, read 1,346,476 times
It's just fine if you're traveling around the city. But if you're looking to go somewhere outside it's not very convenient. But that's the way it is everywhere.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM

217 posts, read 562,311 times
I use Zipcar for this exact reason.
I also use it for bigger shopping purchases (12 roll paper towels, etc.) about once a month.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM

52 posts, read 192,626 times
Quote:

See the difference?
That's strange. I can't imagine it taking 4 hours, even with 3 different buses, to get to Seattle. What part of the city are you in? Once you get downtown, it's easy to get to any part of Seattle, though you are on a bus, so it does stop and can take awhile, but more than an hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area