Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,058 times

Advertisements

We have moved in from Minnesota a few days ago. We are having some difficulty finding affortable housing. We, my son, wife and I are still driving around town in a Budget truck which is due today.

Does anybody around the Seattle area including sub-burbs know of any affordable housing? Driving (CDL) is my profession, so location in the metro area is not as much as a concern.

Just trying to keep family out of homeless shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,862,303 times
What's your definition of affordable? That would help in sending you in the right direction. You might start checking out places in Renton or Kent. Forrent.com is a good source, or you can find rentals on Craig's List.

Good luck!

V. =)

Old 09-16-2009, 02:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,604,455 times
Just keep in mind that the further south you go, generally the more "rednecky" it will feel. That doesn't really apply to Kent or Renton, but keep on going south and you will notice it very much.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,380,699 times
I'd say the closest areas to downtown Seattle with the least expensive rents would be Kent, Renton, Tukwila, and Burien.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,058 times
Thank you everybody. I will check these area out!!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 PM

253 posts, read 969,097 times
You could also try Kemore/Bothell or Lake Forest Park/Lake City.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,512 times
You can also check out this website. Rental rates are determined by income. You may have to call them directly to find out what your options are but it might be worth it. http://www.archhousing.org/rental/index.html (broken link) I hope this helps you.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,744,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
You can also check out this website. Rental rates are determined by income. You may have to call them directly to find out what your options are but it might be worth it. http://www.archhousing.org/rental/index.html (broken link) I hope this helps you.

That's stunning. You're eligible for subsidized housing in Seattle if you're a family of four making less than $77,000 a year.

Almost anywhere else $77,000 is great money. Here it's bare survival. Astounding. This isn't New York city.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 26,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
That's stunning. You're eligible for subsidized housing in Seattle if you're a family of four making less than $77,000 a year.

Almost anywhere else $77,000 is great money. Here it's bare survival. Astounding. This isn't New York city.
Don't believe the hype. A lot of these organizations (and government agencies) depend on promoting expanded definitions of need for their very existence (read: their budgets; meaning they would have to go out and get real jobs, instead of profiting from "careers" in advocacy).

Also, take into consideration that families often benefit from expanded tax credits and are unlikely to pay any federal income tax at all (or even receive a net refund), the OP has a high probably of not only surviving, but thriving in the Seattle area (or anywhere else for that matter) if they can budget successfully.

I'm not suggesting that it would be easy, but if people were willing to ditch the un-winnable race of acquiring useless crap and trying to keep up the proverbial Joneses, it wouldn't take anywhere near $77K/yr to survive near (notice "near", not "in") Seattle.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,512 times
I here ya. Some people wish they made $77,000 a year. My mom is on a very low fixed income per year and qualified to purchase a very cheap condo under the Arch and she was way under the $77,000/a year they allow you to make and I am sure rents are based the same. I think the Arch is a great way to purchase and rent based upon your income. I happened to be from the NYC area and know there is nothing like an Arch type of program for renting and purchasing. Here is the range for rentals based upon how much you make and what you would pay.
Link from website showing the table.
http://www.archhousing.org/rental/guidelines.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area