Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

115 posts, read 326,901 times

Advertisements

Now that there is a light rail station here I am wondering how that will transform the area. Are there residential buildings in SODO? What other attractions are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
There's very little, if any residential in SODO. Not too far south is Georgetown with residential and industrial and offices, but SODO is mostly industrial, offices, retail, warehouses...two Metro bus bases are in SODO as well as the light rail , and the Mayor of Seattle is intent on not having SODO become residential in order to protect the industrial base, but of course I don't believe him. I think it's because he doesn't want residential in SODO because his pal Paul Allen doesn't own SODO, and doesn't want residential there to compete with Paul Allen's South Lake Union holdings.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

187 posts, read 576,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There's very little, if any residential in SODO. Not too far south is Georgetown with residential and industrial and offices, but SODO is mostly industrial, offices, retail, warehouses...two Metro bus bases are in SODO as well as the light rail , and the Mayor of Seattle is intent on not having SODO become residential in order to protect the industrial base, but of course I don't believe him. I think it's because he doesn't want residential in SODO because his pal Paul Allen doesn't own SODO, and doesn't want residential there to compete with Paul Allen's South Lake Union holdings.
I think the mayor wants to protect the zoning for SODO because SODO does indeed host much of the city's industrial sector. If that goes, *a lot* of jobs and tax paying businesses go. Not good.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 AM

132 posts, read 340,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think it's because he doesn't want residential in SODO because his pal Paul Allen doesn't own SODO, and doesn't want residential there to compete with Paul Allen's South Lake Union holdings.
Why does every single decision the mayor makes has to be blamed on "being Paul Allen's pal"?

Every city has zoning law. Get used to it.

Paul Allen did a lot for the city. Stupid people and snobs won't learn to appreciate him until one day they are gone, just like Boeing and Microsoft.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
OKay:
South Lake Union, not very long ago, was zoned industrial, just the way SODO is now. After Paul Allen purchased the majority of the real estate in the South Lake Union neighborhood, much of it was rezoned to allow residential. Every city has zoning laws. Get used to it unless you're a multi billionaire.
By the way, I don't disagree with Greg Nickels on keeping SODO industrial. I just don't trust his motives.
I've got mixed feelings about Paul Allen, and I don't like being referred to as being a snob or a stupid person. I am neither, I'm just someone with an opinion that differs from yours.
I appreciate that Paul Allen employs people in Seattle, but I'm not sure that he's done " a lot" for the city. Name them. Extorted the voters so the taxpayers would pay for the football stadium?
Built the Experience Music Project? Purchased most of the real estate in the South Lake Union area and displaced the poor?
We seem to have this worship of the super rich in this town, as if every single thing they do or want to do is just fine. I'm glad the EMP is in Seattle, despite my feelings about it's architecture. I'm glad Paul Allen bought the Seahawks and that they are still a Seattle franchise.
I don't suggest we try to take anything away that is Paul Allen's. But I'm not going to worship the guy just because he's worth 15 billion dollars, or assume he can do no wrong because he's that rich, or agree to go along with anything he wants because he has that much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area