Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 27,592 times

Advertisements

A small group of my friends. including an 11 year old kid, are planning on floating the Cedar River next weekend the 19th but suprisingly there is very little information about it on the internet. I have done it once before when I was a teen with an experienced "floater" and do not remember much about it. Any tips on safety, where to go, current river conditions, or anything that would be relevant? Anything helps. Right now, all I know is to start at the golf course and get out at the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
People do float the Cedar. Here's all I know:
There are a couple of spots with swift currents, one is just west of the golf course, and there are times in the summer when the river gets too low for floating.
Also, at times there are logjams. I walk along the river frequently but haven't paid much attention to that kind of stuff lately.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
These guys might be worth a call, as a possible source of expertise/knowledge:

City of Renton Cedar River Boathouse

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

318 posts, read 950,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
People do float the Cedar. Here's all I know:
There are a couple of spots with swift currents, one is just west of the golf course, and there are times in the summer when the river gets too low for floating.
Also, at times there are logjams. I walk along the river frequently but haven't paid much attention to that kind of stuff lately.
Trust me, with the winter we had, that river will not be short of water anytime soon.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 27,592 times
Thank you for your advice! This helps me get off to a good start!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM

204 posts, read 813,659 times
The rivers are dangerous but it seems all water levels are really low right now. I live on a creek which is often more like a river, and at this time it looks like it's fed by a garden hose. We have a drought.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,727 times
Default good blog

http://randycorman.livejournal.com/469770.htm (broken link)

- "Jones Road, just east of our city and the new 152nd Ave SE bridge that connects Maple Valley Highway to Renton Highlands."
- "total float time is between two and three hours, depending on the level of the river."

Renton Community Update - Good Times floating down the Cedar River; but use care and good sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area