Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM

16 posts, read 66,104 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

We'll be moving to the Seattle area soon -- working in Tacoma (me) and likely downtown Seattle (my wife), with family in the eastside (Bellevue, Newcastle, Redmond). Our current cellphone plan contracts with Verizon have expired, and we're wondering whether to stick with Verizon or switch carriers.

Who has the best coverage overall in the eastside, Seattle, and Tacoma areas? Previous posts on this site have indicated quite a few people like T-Mobile, but these weren't specifically about these areas. I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience -- especially if you happen to travel within the above areas!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I'm a T-Mobile customer and am mostly pleased with their service. I've never experienced coverage problems in Tacoma, though I'm not all over town and don't go there frequently. Seattle is fine, Bellevue is fine although there is a small dead zone just south of Factoria on I-405, which at that point might be Newcastle. Redmond has great T-Mobile coverage. I'm also very happy with their customer service. The Issaquah store in particular has especially helpful folks.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times
I've heard good things about T-Mobile on the Eastside too. I have Verizon and I've never had a problem with coverage up here -- mostly Eastside but plenty of trips into Seattle or down I-5. I'm able to use my cell's internet in Tacoma no problem. My husband had problems with Verizon coverage on the Microsoft campus in Redmond, enough to make him switch to AT&T, which isn't perfect but is better for him. Not sure why.

So, while I *hear* T-Mobile is good Eastside, my personal experience with Verizon for the last 15 months has been very, very good. Hate their customer "service", but the coverage seems fine.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:14 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
I vouch for T-Mobile. AT&T/Cingular had dead zones on the Eastside and was expensive. Not one dead zone found in a year with T-Mobile, in Redmond / Bellevue mostly, and Seattle (KOW). It has worked fine down the west coast too, including Redding CA, a smallish town. The customer service has been great (replaced a waterlogged phone cheaply/efficiently) and the plan has saved me a lot over AT&T.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
I spend a lot of time in Seattle and Newcastle/Bellevue and have had no problems at all with AT&T. And their 3G network works well with our iPhones, which we love.

Check the contract, but my understanding is that the big carriers will allow you to return a phone and cancel a new contract within 30 days if their signal just doesn't work for you, in your particular neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times
Sprint does allow that. My husband got an HTC phone with Sprint and returned it and cancelled the contract. Service wasn't great in our house, and the phone was the only one he liked and it had a battery life of about an hour. Sprint kept trying to bill us for several more months but it was cleared up eventually.

He got an iPhone and has AT&T now, but it's awful. It seems to be the phone that's the problem, though, not the service. He can hear everyone fine, but no one can hear him. Nobody else seems to have that problem, I think we just need to get the phone fixed. Hah.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 151,401 times
Default MO Fun in Philly

Have lived in Bellevue since '72. Not that it matters. My Sprint contract is up this month and am not going to renew. I am looking for a new carrier. It appears that Verizon and T-Mobile are the most popular. I can't speak for their coverage but T-Mobile is definitely the cheapest. Have heard discouraging words about both of their customer service depts. I would like to get feed back on this topic.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 151,401 times
After reviewing the dates on these posts. It doesn't appear that I will be receiving a response soon

Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
I'll respond:

Drive along I-90. Get to the 90-405 crossover. Look to your right. What logo is atop those 7 brown buildings? Go to Snoqualmie, find 2 more. Go to Bothell, find 3 more. Go to Ballard, find 1 more.

They're frigging BASED here. Of course they're going to have the best coverage :P.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I've had great customer service from T-Mobile. I think it may vary depending on which T-Mobile store you go into. The Issaquah store is their flagship store and provides great customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area