Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 PM

119 posts, read 1,028,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. A fore warning, this is not a "will I fit in/get along/like it" in Seattle thread. Well, the wife and I are going to be moving from the black hole of Michigan to Seattle mid-summer to give it a go. We have thought this through, and we're ready. We are looking for a nice decent place to live around the Pinehurst area.

Here's the deal:
She's been accepted to North Seattle Community College for their Nursing Program. (2+year wait here in MI).
I will finish my degree online.
I will be doing flight training at one of the airports, most likely Boieng Field.
We would like her to be close to NSCC.
Taking all this into account, we are thinking just north of Seattle Proper would be best.

Now I am turning to you guys for suggestions of either areas to look at it, or even specific apartment complexes that are nice. We are looking for 2br, 1+bath, prefer a garage, even if detached. Like to keep it under $1000 a month if possible. We do have 2 cats (that cross country drive is going to be fun). We are not against renting a house, or a foreclosed house take over thing, just not renting a room, half a house, type thing. What do you got guys? Help us out! Thank you.

Just in case anyone is wondering , we have been to Seattle before, and love it. We spent 3 days there on our honeymoon before going to AK, and love the PNW area, and she spent time there as a kid. So we are not just jumping in blind. well, not totally blind. I will be going out there to look for a job for a week about a month before the move, and she is currently working in the health care field with both a Medical Assisting and Nursing Assistant certificates and degrees. SHe is already networking for a part time job. We will have around $10k in cash when we move, maybe more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,673,322 times
I understand rentals are becoming more available due to the economy. Now is a good time to look. There are many apartment complexes and moderate homes in the NSCC area. There is also a brand new residential/retail center just south of Northgate Mall. Could be a little expensive though because it is new.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 PM

I am getting the vibe that rentals are getting pretty available. Just not sure what the good areas are, or if that area around NSCC are good, ok, bad.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,356,333 times
Areas around NSCC are okay. You might want to avoid living on or immediately adjacent to Aurora Avenue.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Areas around NSCC are okay. You might want to avoid living on or immediately adjacent to Aurora Avenue.
Beware, people on Craiglist will erroneously list such places on Aurora as "Greenwood" or "Green Lake". And then you get there its super sketchtastic.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM

36 posts, read 149,204 times
The north Greenwood/Broadview area is nice, also Maple Leaf, Bitter Lake, Greenlake and Haller Lake. Just make sure that you don't live right off of Aurora Ave (runs right through Seattle) as it is part of Hwy 99 and there is a lot of crime around it.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Cool. thanks for the input so far. We look forward to the move, and we are both excited about Seattle. Looking for an apartment is really time consuming when you don't live in the area and don't know the area. Around here, I could rattle off a dozen good apartment complexes in just about any neighborhood.

But keep on keeping on, and I'm sure we'll find a good place.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 AM

161 posts, read 560,313 times
I agree with the other posters. Google map the address and check it out if its near or on Aurora although I live near Maple Leaf and people have gotten their homes broken into around here

Otherwise, Ravenna is nice maybe near U Village for the OP,but if your wife is busing it,Maple leaf,U District,Shoreline,Northgate ( esp when they are done building that mega housing,shopping,movie theatre.

Blessings and welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area