Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,589 times

Advertisements

I’m moving to Seattle early this summer to start a new job and I am looking to find a place to live. Let me tell you specific details about myself and what I am looking for so that you can help me find a place to live!

I’m looking for a 1BD apt in the Capital Hill area. Being a single woman who likes to run outside – a neighborhood safety is a very important part of my search – I was told by some to look for apartments east of Broadway and north of Cherry Street. Because I’ll be on call quite a bit and will be in and out sometimes in the middle of the night, assigned parking space is a must. My yearly income is 55K and I’m looking for monthly rent ranging 1000-1400’s. I do have a car, but would prefer to walk or take public transportation if possible. I would also prefer hardwood floors and in-unit washer/dryer. I do not own any pets and do not have any children.

If you have any specific apartments that you can recommend in the area or if you have any recommendation about streets/area to avoid or to consider, I would really appreciate it. I’m hoping to start my lease on 6/1 – since my starting date is 7/1. I plan to fly in during the first week of May to check out the town. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 136,731 times
Sounds like you will be living the life of an intern! Did you just find out from match day today?

Unfortunately I don't have apartment advice other than to definitely check out craigslist for what you can expect to pay.

I also will be moving to Seattle July 1st, as I am finishing up fellowship and found a staff job there. I decided to tentatively live downtown Seattle (as a single male, wanted to be close to the downtown action with pikes place, shopping, and restaurants) although I'll have a better idea once I visit there again in a couple weeks for a conference.

Good luck with everything! I know it feels great to actually be making some money now (as little as it seems now). Hope you find the perfect apartment.. it's a good time to rent now so your timing is good.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM

178 posts, read 584,817 times
East of Broadway and North of Cherry is a pretty good recommendation. That's where I live and I pay $700 for a very tiny studio. Lots of joggers out and about in my neighborhood at ungodly early hours.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
West of Broadway is alright, provided it's north enough. Like Summit and Mercer is perfectly nice.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,589 times
[quote=spacecadet610;7960425]Sounds like you will be living the life of an intern! Did you just find out from match day today?

I'm not sure whether I want to be an intern again ...but my first year fellowship call schedule looks pretty busy - nothing to complain about though - mostly beeper calls.

Checking out craigslist list sounds like a good advice. Let me know if you have any enlightening thoughts after your visit. Good luck to you too.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 PM

914 posts, read 4,446,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post
East of Broadway and North of Cherry is a pretty good recommendation. That's where I live and I pay $700 for a very tiny studio. Lots of joggers out and about in my neighborhood at ungodly early hours.
I would second this. We lived on First Hill for a while, and if I were going to live on Capital Hill, that is definitely what I would shoot for! There should be some nice stuff up there, in your price range!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
I don't think there's anything on Capital Hill that's very dangerous. You could look on apartmentratings.com for specific comments about places, but just keep in mind to discard the best raves and the worst rantings, and focus on the mixed comments.

It's easy to get a concealed carry license in Washington, so it might not be a bad idea to keep a small pistol or pepper spray in a fanny pack ..... but I'd say that to a woman jogging in any city. Seattle's safer than most when it comes to violent crime, but there's a lot of property crime.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 20,820 times
Just so you know, it is spelled Capitol Hill not Capital Hill. If you go on Craigslist and spell it with an A you will barely get any results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area