Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 17,435 times

Advertisements

Hey! My husband and I will be visiting Seattle in July. I could really use some recomendations for the following:

1. Any really good B&Bs close to downtown or Pike Place Market? Or other good places to stay. Looking for something with water view, easy access to everything, under $250 a night, great B-fast would be awesome!

2. What are the LOCAL food places close to central Seattle that we MUST eat at? We love good food and good coffee!!!

3. What are the touristy things we must do? Which ones are overrated?

4. What is the best means of getting around central Seattle? Bus? Trolley? Car?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Oh! And also, we'll be in central Seattle for 2.5 days? Is that enough time? Would shorter also cover it?

Thanks, Seattle-ites, you coffee fiends!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM

74 posts, read 141,853 times
Don't know how you can see anything in 2 days. The Central District also known as the CD is not what I think you really mean, as it is a neighborhood. I think you mean downtown?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
For coffee, Seattle Coffee Works is a great little microroaster on Pike Street just east of the Pike Place Market. Down the road in Pioneer Square, Zeitgeist Espresso at 2nd and Jackson is consistently very good and a nice place to hang out.
Pensione Nichols is a B & B near the Pike Place Market that some people really love, but if you're up for a tiny adventure, I've heard great things about Artist Studio B & B on Vashon Island, a 20 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 PM

lamppost - Yes, downtown - OK, if you only had TWO days, what would you recommend?

Ira - thanks so much!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM

172 posts, read 1,063,045 times
Not sure about B&Bs in downtown Seattle. It seems your best bet would be a hotel--check out the Edgewater Hotel on Alaskan Way. It is close to all of the mainstream touristy stuff (if you're into that) like Pike Place Market, museums, the aquarium, Argosy sightseeing tours, Ivar's Seafood, etc.

The Icon Grill on 5th Ave is one of my favorite restaurants! Everything I have eaten there has been spectacular and you can't beat the beautiful blown glass environment...it's gorgeous.

My favorite coffeehouse, The Green Bean on Greenwood Ave, might be too far north for your short stay, but they serve Brown & Co. coffee that is by far the BEST I have ever had in this coffee laden area. The original Starbucks is at Pike Place Market, if you're sticking to the mainstream path.

As far as touristy things, I'd definitely steer clear of the Ride the Ducks Tour--obnoxious!

Some off my personal picks:

I've lived here all my life and I still love going to the Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle. The Center House almost always has (free) public events going on. The International Fountain is one of my favorite spots to hang out and people watch.

If you're into parks, don't miss Gasworks Park. The Essential Bakery Cafe on 34th is in walking distance from there. There is also an amazing kite shop on Wallingford Ave if you have time for your inner child

If you appreciate artsy little shopping areas full of unique boutiques and little restaurants, check out the Fremont shopping area. It's just minutes west of Gasworks Park. The Fremont Troll is there as well if you're into that.

If you enjoy asian food and imported goods, don't miss Chinatown/International District. Uwajimaya is one of the best asian markets I can think of. I love to get bubble tea and wander around through all of the shops in the area.

I would drive since you only have a couple days. Our transit system isn't the greatest--you might end up waiting around a lot and be forced to sit next to smelly lunatics for obscene lengths of time

Have fun and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 AM

JupiterFire - thanks for the tip on the car and other great recommendations!I can't wait to go. We're staying downtown 2 days, camping 2, and B&B doing nothing for 2.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
The Seattle underground tour is a good one. Pioneer Square for some drinks. And a Mariner Game.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Eat at Wild Ginger...yum!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks, Topaz and Tankratt, great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area